Need Advice. "Macbook Pro? or Macbook Air?"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icy-macpro, Jun 6, 2008.

1. icy-macpro macrumors member

Hey,
    I need some advice before purchasing either a Macbook Air or a Macbook Pro. I want either one of them to fit in a JanSport bag for School, and I need the power... at least thats what I think and I have an iMac 24" 2.8GHZ w/ 4GB of ram as my desktop comp...

This is what I mainly do:
    Safari, Photoshop, word!, powerpoint (office stuff), movies here and there..., iPhone tweaking, web designing, MSN, torrents, keynote, handbreak, vmware fusion, final cut (once & a while), itunes.. subs subs subs...etc..

but im also kind of an audio junkie.. & I want performance would the air be suitable or a pro? so lost.. & I know there will be a redesign for MBP's soon but how long? should I wait? ughh... :S

Im so confused. What should I look into.? I know that I can get the macbook air 1.6 80GB HDD, for: $1400 CAD BNIB, and the MBP 2.4 BNIB for $1700.

What do you guys think?
    I had several 17" high res macbook pro's in the past...
    I want a comp to fit in a JANSPORT BAG.

should I wait if somehow you convince me to get a MBP?... would waiting help? redesign... how long?....Advice please + I wont be getting one until september so I want to know my price range.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Why do you think you could use an Air if this is what you want to do?

You might be better off getting the MBP. If you need it now, get it, if you can wait, wait.

3. icy-macpro thread starter macrumors member

I dont mind waiting...until september =/ thats when classes start.

so i should go MBP?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go get the MBP; if you didn't say Final Cut or Handbrake, I might have said MBA; Audio junkie, a MBP.

5. matthutch macrumors regular

I have both and I would say go with the MacBook Pro if you are even considering Final Cut.

The Air is a quick little machine, but it really isn't designed to run Pro App's in real world operation (based on my experience anyway).

Also if you can wait you may as well, unless you want a free iPod Touch that is :)

6. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Dear God! I've heard it all now. You are REALLY using a back pack as a deciding factor for your technology?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Our enemies are right. We really are capitalistic swine. :mad:

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I do pretty much all of that and more on my air. Its more then capable even being low speced. It won't be as fast as doing the work on the MacBook Pro, but its hardly slow.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

when you say handbrake, then yea go for MBP... it is inconvenient that the Air doesnt even have an optical drive. Vmware? yeah, you need all the power you can get. The Air won't cut it because its not for a poweruser.

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

you're probably going to need the mpb I you plan to run any intensive programs. just get the 15" mpb, it'll fit into most computer bags nicely

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yeah, but like you said, it will be slower than what you could have with a MBP. Not that the Air won't do most things, just that the main purpose in getting a certain laptop is what you will be using it for.

So will the 17" surprisingly. Not that the OP shouldn't get the 15", since it's the best bargain I have seen for a laptop of it's size and class.

11. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Go for the Pro

I bought the Air and then returned it for a MacBook. Sooooo much happier. The Air performs too slowly for the few things I do. I can't imagine you'd be happy considering all the stuff you are expecting to use it for. I can't stand waiting for a page to load or a program to open. I had it for 3 days and couldn't deal with it. By the way, the Apple store was awesome about making the exchange. They even forgave the "restocking" fee.

12. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I don't really get these kinds of questions spec-wise. If you're asking to pick between a MBP and a MBA you should rather be asking to pick between a MB and an Air.

The Air is spec-wise insanely inferior the MBP and only has portability as a bonus.
    The MB does everything an Air does, has simliar and slightly superior specs and will also save you more money that way.

13. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I agree that the MBP is a better bet for the OP that the MBA. I went through the same calculation the OP is doing here before I bought my MBP in March. I decided against the MBA because if its lack of a disk slot, the dramatically better “bang for the buck” of the MBP, and, finally, because the MBP fit exactly the very nice sleeve and bag I had bought for my old PB G4.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm confused: are you keeping the iMac? :confused:

If you are keeping the iMac (which is what it seems like), and it's doing what you ask it to, what would the Air do for you exactly? Would it only be a note-taking computer? If you need such a thing, the Air has some potential, but like others said, a macbook (not pro) would be much better.

Again, if you're keeping the iMac, what would the macbook pro do? Do you need it to do audio work or Photoshop in a classroom setting?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to gauge what your situation is.

Oh, if it's any consolation, the macbook pro will fit in your Jansport backpack (mine does in my Jansport). :)

15. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

I almost see no situation in which someone would get a MBA over a MBP. I mean come on...the MBP is 1 inch thick, do people REALLY need something paper thin? If the question was between a macbook vs mbp, then there might be a decision to be made, but between a MBA and MBP, easily the MBP.

16. arj8138 macrumors member

NO QUESTION! MacBook Pro!!!!

The Air is less powerful than the MacBook and Mac Mini, neither of which can run Final Cut that well. VM would be slow as hell since it doenst use all system resources to begin with.

I have a 17in PowerBook which is the older PowerPC chipset version of the new MacBook Pros and running Final Cut and basically any other program is no problem.

I would suggest getting a 15in MacBook Pro, then getting an external Monitor to sit on your desk.

And for god-sakes get a Neoprene case for the computer if you are just going to be putting it into a backpack.

17. rvk27 macrumors member

rvk27

you crack me up

you already know what i think

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've owned them all! I'd say sell your imac and buy a 17" hi res mbp and keep the rest of the $$ in the bank!