Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tobeb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Hey, was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys, thinking of getting a laptop for my trip to Japan / HK and was originally thinking of getting a netbook for the portability. Looking at the Asus EEE PC 1000HE.

I currently have an iMac 24" so I started thinking, should I get something that is more feasible to use after the trip... And started looking at refurbished Macbook Unibody 2.0 Ghz or Air original with 80 gb drive.

What are your thoughts / opinions? Looking for something portable, but also want function for after trip....

Thanks.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
This question is pretty common these days and doesn't really have a cut-and-dry answer. I personally own a white Macbook and an HP Mini 1030nr (netbook), but no Air - I love both of my machines, but for completely different reasons. The Macbook does everything I throw at it well (well, almost everything) - the HP Mini is much slower, but it handles basic tasks well. I take my HP Mini almost everywhere now - it is so small and light that it almost never gets in the way. Also, at just $399 (same ballpark price as the EEE 1000HE) I don't worry as much if something happens to it (not that I want anything to happen to it).

Here's my take - if you really want a Mac, a netbook is a no go, unless you want a hackintosh, and that's a bit of work. However, you have a nice iMac already, so do you really NEED another powerful machine? I would say no, but I don't know your situation. I personally do not NEED my Macbook, as I have a Mini that is A-OK with me, but my WIFE needs the Macbook, so I digress... If you NEED another powerful machine, get the Macbook (I don't recommend the Air due to its "restrictions," even though it is dead-sexy - and the Macbook is less than 5lbs itself now). If you don't, get the netbook - it'll save you money, weight, size, and worry, all while providing a good computing experience (at a ~2001 speed :).

P.S. - Look at the HP Mini 1000 series. I can't speak for the EEE 1000HE since its new and haven't actually seen it (I assume you haven't either), but the HP Mini is a WAY BETTER machine than the EEE 1000H - I was originally tossed up between the two until I compared them side by side. The HP is much more solid, has a better keyboard, and just looks great (not a Mac, mind you, but not that far off). It was better to the point that I paid $70 more for the HP than the EEE 1000H, mostly just for build quality and looks. Good luck. :)

EB66

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
im in the same boat as you for a secondary mac and I originally wanted a netbook but every time i play with them not having a full keyboard really bugs me....the msi wind u100 seems to work almost flawlessly as a hackintosh if you were to go that route though, look at the youtube videos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.