Need advice: New MBPr or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theRevIsNotDead, Aug 17, 2013.

  1. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

    theRevIsNotDead

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2013
    #1
    Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a new Mac once Apple updates their hardware (hopefully this fall).

    A bit about what I'd use the computer for: freelance work, I do Graphic Design and Web Development, but I'd like it to be great for gaming as well.

    Currently I have a ~2008 MacBook Pro 3,1 (2.4 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB SATA, 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT). It runs pretty good. Starting to show it's age and has a weak battery.

    I can't decide which seems the better option:
    1) Buy a new, maxed MacBook Pro with Retina and get rid of my current laptop. Possibly buy a 27" monitor. Power and mobility all in one.

    2) Buy a new, maxed iMac and keep my current laptop. I would wipe the laptop and keep it running light for mobility.

    The way I see it, getting the new iMac gets me a much more powerful computer (basically double) but I'd lose the mobility and the Retina display.

    Been wrestling with this decision for a while and with updates imminent, I'm turning to you guys. And help is much appreciated!
     
  2. gtjeta macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    #2
    A few months ago I changed from 27 iMac (i7, 2010) plus 13 mbp (2010) to early 2013 15" RMBP. Using MATLAB for intensive CPU problems, the new retina is more or less on par with my previous iMac.

    So now I have all the computing power I need on a mobile computer, and the higher quality screen is great. In fact, I am using only the built in screen most of the time, and don't miss much the iMac panel. Not too much ...

    Well, in fact I am waiting for an update on the Thunderbolt Display to use the commuter docked in my job office.

    Previously, I had to maintain two computers (Dropbox, svn, imap email, apps). Now it is much easier.
     
  3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

    phoenixsan

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    #3
    I would say.....

    buy the iMac maxed out. But wait for the supposed upgrades to come before commit. I am saying this because I have the hope (foolish maybe) than Apple updates options in the GPU front and Fusion sizes...

    You will miss the Retina and portability...?...You have to consider you options througfully....


    :):apple:
     
  4. macs4nw macrumors 601

    macs4nw

    #4
    As much as I'd like to help you, it all comes down to how much more, you're willing to pay, for the portability factor and the Retina display. And only you know that. I can only tell you what I would do: Get a new iMac, after the update, of course, and get a replacement battery installed in the MacBook Pro, you already have. Higher specs at a lower price, plain and simple. But that may not necessarily be the best option for you.

    I have a maxed-out 13" MBA as well as an iMac desktop, and as much as I absolutely love my Air for day-to-day computing, I do all my serious work on my iMac. Evaluate your percentages of work you would do on the rMBP, vs what you would do on the iMac, and then balance that against your budget. Good Luck!
     
  5. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Location:
    up above the streets and houses
    #5
    Get the iMac when the updates arrive and give your mbp some upgrade loving, new battery, some more RAM and possibly an SSD will give it a new lease of life for not much cash.
     
  6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

    Amazing Iceman

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2008
    Location:
    Florida, U.S.A.
    #6
    If you're going to spend so much money for a good MBPr, why not get a Mac Pro instead? Then later you could get a retina monitor; actually, up to three 4K monitors. it doesn't get any better than that. you could buy monitors as your need them or can afford them.

    That is, unless you need the mobility convenience of the MBPr.
     
  7. theRevIsNotDead thread starter macrumors member

    theRevIsNotDead

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2013
    #7
    Great idea. As far as RAM goes, the MBP is maxed. It came with 2GB and I upgraded a few years ago. Also, I believe that it won't be eligible for Mavericks.

    How much are the Mac Pros going to retail for once they're released? It'll probably be way over my budget, and probably overkill for what I'd need it for. They are sexy looking machines, though!
     

Share This Page