need advice: old mac, new display

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by babalew, Apr 2, 2010.

1. babalew macrumors newbie

I'm looking at trying to connect a PowerMac G4 (digital audio) to a 30" cinema display. The PM has the stock video card with that accursed ADC connector. It'd be nice if I could run this computer/display combo at best resolution (2560x1600) but I think I could settle for less as long as it looks "okay". The PM is being used to run some legacy OS9 apps, charting and drawing programs, I think. There's also going to be a Mac Pro thrown into the mix, the two computers connected to the one display via a KVM.
    Here are my ideas:

Adapter cable: Belkin makes an ADC to DVI adapter. My understanding is that the 30" cinema display is dvi-d and double-link to boot. Will the Belkin adapter work at all? Is there another, better adapter solution?

New video card: Is there such a thing as a video card that fits the PM's AGP slot and has a regular dvi output? Am I correct that the PM has a peculiar AGP slot that is not compatible with most other AGP cards? Should I really be entertaining this option?

New video card II: I guess I could go with a PCI card. Any recommendations?

Remote desktop: This may be the way to go if performance and ease of use don't take a hit. Here, the display would be connected only to the Mac Pro and the PM would be run headless. If anyone has any comments about this I'd like to hear them.

TIA
    eric

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

No, the adapter will not work because ADC cannot transmit the amount of data required to drive a 2560x1600 (max is 1920x1200 IIRC)

There are graphics cards that do have DVI output, such as the ATI Radeon 9800 (your best bet). However, the graphics card was made before Dual-link DVI was existent, so it can drive 1920x1200 max.

This sounds like a good idea, however I would recommend using ethernet (if you aren't already) as wireless screen sharing can be shaky, especially with those rustic Airport cards. The performance will be the same on the PM side, but my guess is that it will be a little cumbersome to do all of the work through a screen sharing window instead of a regular monitor.

3. babalew thread starter macrumors newbie

Not work at all or just at a lower resolution?

Do I have to be concerned with physical compatibility of the edge connector? I have a vague recollection that there was something about the PM's AGP connector that was problematic. (A regular AGP card would not fit properly in a PM).

Thanks for the tips,
    eric