Need advice on 2011 15" MBP Purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ELA2, Apr 23, 2011.

1. ELA2 macrumors member

Hi All,

I'm about to purchase a new 15" MBP. The specs are as follows:

2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    None
    Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

My biggest dilemma is in regards to buying a 256gb SSD. Should I purchase an apple SSD or go for a 6G OWC Mercury Extreme? I really want to know if any problems I would expect in getting a faster SSD or should I just stick with the slower stock toshiba knowing that everything is going to play well together?

Additionally, with the above specs and stock HDD, has anyone seen a price lower than $2539 outside of Texas? I'm entitled to an education discount only thing is that I would love NOT paying sales tax. Will any other vendors outside of Apple give an education discount or match this price?

Thanks to all in advance!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I haven't seen any issues reported about the new 6Gb/s OWC Mercury but obviously the Apple SSD is a safer choice. In normal usage, you won't notice any difference between them.

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

If you want quality SSD, go with OCZ vertex III, read/write speeds are unmatched and performance is incredible. I would also consider the intel SSD G3.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Pass on the RAM upgrade through Apple. It's easily twice what you can do it for yourself. You can buy RAM from OWC as well as the SSD.