Need Advice on 4:2:2 1080p 24fps on fcp

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by the read, Nov 25, 2009.

1. the read macrumors regular

Hi All,
    I currently bought a new mac pro tower with a quad core CPU and I've upgraded to 8 gigs or Ram. The computer has 1 x 1TB hard disk running at 7200 speed.

I purchased the computer along with Final Cup Studio for editing video using the apple compression 4:2:2 Uncompressed 1080p at 24 frames per second.

Currently I cannot get playback to be smooth. Playback drops frames after 20 seconds. Sometimes its less than 5 seconds before the time line shudders and playback fails.

I think the problem is with the hard disk not being quick enough. Do I need to add more drives and set the raid to 0 (stripe) ? If so, how many hard disks should I install to get the playback smooth using the 4:2:2 x24 1080p.

Would I get a better performance using solid state drives? This is more expensive but if it works I'm happy to try it. Has anyone used the Intel solid state drives for editing uncompressed 4:2:2 1080p with any success? Are they compatible with a mac?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers
    The Read:)

2. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Is there a reason why you insist using uncompressed?
    It is goddam taxing on your stuff with very little benefit compared to,say, pro-res HQ (10 bit) even if you do a lot of compositing and heavy grading.

Requirements for the uncompressed (4:2:2) are around 1.300 Mb/s and for proresHQ 220 Mb/s. 6 times more.

Just my .02cents.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Depends how full you're going to let the disks get. I'd say 3, minimum, for bandwidth and capacity.

But as suggested, consider ProRes. It takes a load off.

4. the read thread starter macrumors regular

Need Advice on 4:2:2 1080p 24fps on fcp

We are forced to use 4:2:2 Uncompressed due to our deliverables on the project.

My reservations with using a more manageable compression are if the image quality gets reduced. We have no choice but to deliver in 4:2:2 Uncompressed eventually, but if I work in a different compression, would I have to rebuild the entire edit? (FYI we are editing an animated show so the smallest compression artefacts become very obvious.)

If I originally load clips in to the time line which are 4:2:2 uncompressed and then convert my time line properties to pro-res HQ (10 bit) as suggested(or a another manageable codec), FCP will then render the time line to this new change.

Then once edit is final, switch my time line edit back to 4:2:2 uncompressed in the preferences. Would FCP kill the link with its previous renders and go back to using the originally loaded clips in 4:2:2 uncompressed?

I think I would rather have a stable solution and ease the work flow for the editor. If this means spending the money on more drives so 4:2:2 will playback smooth, I think I will opt for that. I just don't want to spend the cash and still not have a solution.

Has anyone used solid state drives? Do they out perform multiple drives 7200 raid stripped to 0?

Thanks again and forgive me for my inexperience with Apple and FCP.
    :)

5. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Well,if you have to,you have to..

One option could be thought that you would edit your materiel in prores proxy. you do the edit with the lighter proxy materiel and after finishing make the machine do the work. I am not that familiar with the proxy workflow but check it out,it might be the thing for you?

Otherwise:ssd. make a three disk raid0 of them and your read/write speeds should be enough...

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You could do that but the editor would be rendering constantly and hating life. How much footage do you have and is it 8-bit or 10-bit? If it's not too much you could probably get away w/an internal software RAID, but I personally don't trust the software RAID 'cause if the OS (or system drive) goes south your RAID goes with it. CalDigit and G-Technology both make good external RAID solutions.

Slightly OT, I'd be interested to see how ProRes 4:4:4:4 would compare to uncompressed at 4:2:2 (all ProRes flavors are 10-bit, not just HQ).

Lethal

7. joaoferro37 macrumors 6502

joaoferro37

ProRes 422 HQ 1080/24 requies around 25 MB/s, any eSATA drive will get the job done. ProMax provides outstanding products and services, if you need storage and you do editing, I would suggest ProMax.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The OP is editing Uncompressed though, not ProRes.

Lethal