Need advice on a 13 inch Retina purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SeanZy, Apr 11, 2013.

1. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Im gonna keep this short and sweet: I am selling my 15 inch Macbook Pro because I want a 13 inch with Retina.

I know that they recently updated the higher model 13 inch retina in Februrary so I have a question:

I found a 2.5GHz model with 256GB storage on craigslist for 1400. This is the model number MD213LL/A. I know that this is the model from 2012, before they did the revision.

It was just purchased this week, and has receipt and all.

My question is this: Is the upgrade made this year worth the extra money? I mean, we are talking a difference of about 300 or more here. I did read that changes were made more than just the processor though. some logic board stuff or something?

I know the lower end 13 retina is 1524 after taxes here, and it still has half the storage. I really want the higher storage....

Thanks for your time!

2. Radiating macrumors 65816

The difference between the newer model and the spec bump is completely unnoticeable. I've had an launch day retina and a spec bump retina, you can't tell there is any difference.

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Did you ask the seller why isn't he returning it for a full refund at Apple instead of taking a loss ? ... considering it's only a week old purchase AND has a receipt....

4. abc123 macrumors 6502

Have a look at the refurb store too. It looks like that model is $1,359 as a refurb and with a refurb you get a fresh 12 month warranty don't need to worry about why the craigslist guy is selling his rather than returning it for a refund.

5. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

He purchased it from B and H photo not from Apple, and I have not asked him.

----------

So is the general consensus that the 2013 update is not worth the difference in price? As far as I see it is only a .1GHz processing difference, is there anything else?

6. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright so I want to confirm, since only one guy answered, I should not be worried about the spec bump from the 2012 to 2013 models, and go for the savings, either through CL or refurbishment

7. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

8. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay the guy is not returning it to B and H because they charge him both shipping costs back to them, as well as a restocking fee. And the laptop was only 1499 through them (since its the 2012 one) so I see why he would rather sell it on CL for a smaller loss.

I really think I might go with this. It would cost me over 1700 to get the 2013 model new , and if it truly is only the processor bump, then there is no way it is worth it

9. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

go for it, you really won't notice a difference between the two. It is probably worth investing in apple care though.

10. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

In that case, jump on it! :D

I got mine around launch, and it's p-e-r-f-e-c-t !!

11. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

before buying I would look into amazon deals for the 2012... last week they were good I remember....

12. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Seems sketchy from Craigslist. Pay full price and have peace of mind.