Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoJames4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2017
I can't seem to find a good printer that works super well with both Mac and PC. Can you guys make some suggestions? We have one wifi network at home, I'm the lone family member that uses Mac most of the time, other people at home use PCs.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Actually, I should think that most printers would work fine with both. What sort of printers have you looked at? Do you need color, or just monochrome? multi-function or just printing? If color, do you need photo quality? Lacking any other sort of input, my default recommendation is to go for a Brother laser, either color or monochrome.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I can't think of a printer that doesn't work with both these days.

Personally, I'm partial to Brother laser printers. I'll never go back to inkjets.

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Personally, I'm partial to Brother laser printers. I'll never go back to inkjets.

Same camp. On the rare occasions that I need something printed in color or printed on larger formats, I just go down to Kinkos and pay them to print it for me on their color lasers. It's so much cheaper than buying boxes and boxes of ink that mostly get wasted in ink clogs. I've entirely flushed a complete set of inks down the drain trying to get the inkjet heads aligned and unclogged. $70 for nothing and it still wasn't perfect. Ouch.

I've since learned better ways of cleaning inkjet heads though, but it's just so much hassle and mess for something I might use a few times a year.

Reactions: willmtaylor

lennyeiger

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
Whatever you get make sure it has large cartridges. Those tiny things cost a fortune. I have an Epson Workgroup printer that has 75ml carts. Replacement cartridges, which work well can be gotten on Amazon for $15-$30 for the whole set. I think they have even larger ones now.. the more ink they carry the cheaper the ink is.... by a wide margin.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
We have a cheap canon pixma 6320 that works perfectly with all of our devices, including windows computers, wirelessly and via AirPrint.

GoJames4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2017
Thanks for everyone's inputs. I had tried different models: brother, hp, epson, samsung. None worked well for me, I finally decided to just go with hp, because I was tired of trying new models! For the hp, I can print from the Mac without problems, I can not get Windows to find the printer. Maybe it's our network?!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Thanks for everyone's inputs. I had tried different models: brother, hp, epson, samsung. None worked well for me, I finally decided to just go with hp, because I was tired of trying new models! For the hp, I can print from the Mac without problems, I can not get Windows to find the printer. Maybe it's our network?!
Probably would've been my last choice. Oh well. Best of luck.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Wifi always has an opportunity to disconnect and signal loss. Ethernet is essentially Always-on. If wifi works for you, great! My neighbors all have wifi routers and my printer is 2.4ghz only even though I always use 5ghz on macs, ipads, iphones. The 2.4ghz is super unstable, slow, disconnects, due to congestion of the frequency from all the neighbors routers. From what I've experienced Ethernet is always more stable and reliable than wifi.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Wifi always has an opportunity to disconnect and signal loss. Ethernet is essentially Always-on. If wifi works for you, great! My neighbors all have wifi routers and my printer is 2.4ghz only even though I always use 5ghz on macs, ipads, iphones. The 2.4ghz is super unstable, slow, disconnects, due to congestion of the frequency from all the neighbors routers. From what I've experienced Ethernet is always more stable and reliable than wifi.
Interesting. I've never had an issue. However, my devices are wifi, so how would plugging my printer into Ethernet make much difference, as it's still using wifi to send/receive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.