Need advice on a router for new macbook pro, thanks!

comacaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
So I know this question kind of floats around, but I need to get a router for my new macbook pro. It's the latest model and I was hoping to actually avoid the apple extreme or express, because the express doesn't fit my the range that I need and the extreme, is, a little pricey. If you know of any good solid routers out there that can support my macbook, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
So I know this question kind of floats around, but I need to get a router for my new macbook pro. It's the latest model and I was hoping to actually avoid the apple extreme or express, because the express doesn't fit my the range that I need and the extreme, is, a little pricey. If you know of any good solid routers out there that can support my macbook, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I just bought (last week) an extreme in the refurb store for $129. A steal for what Apple asks for normally. I didn't know a router could do so much. Reconsider. You can setup your time machine drive and hook it up to the router too great for a laptop

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Routers tend to fail. In fact, I think they are the 'most likely to fail' out of any electronic product.

I'd take the Airport Express/Extreme just so I can put the AppleCare on it. Dealing with Linksys/Netgear tech support is a massive pain in the ass. I would know, I just called them last week about my 2 month old cheap N router failing.

My next router will be an Apple one. Just for the 'walk-in service' alone.

My other router, a WRT54G2, has been spotty. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect but it only happens once a week or so.

koolsand

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Airport has issues if you put a VPN server behind it

All the apple airport devices does not go well with VPN. If you have to expose a VPN via Airport....it is not easy though...but other routers which has vpn passthorugh capabilities will make your life easies if you would have to go with vpn...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.