Need advice on a router for new macbook pro, thanks!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comacaz, Jul 30, 2010.

1. comacaz macrumors newbie

So I know this question kind of floats around, but I need to get a router for my new macbook pro. It's the latest model and I was hoping to actually avoid the apple extreme or express, because the express doesn't fit my the range that I need and the extreme, is, a little pricey. If you know of any good solid routers out there that can support my macbook, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I just bought (last week) an extreme in the refurb store for $129. A steal for what Apple asks for normally. I didn't know a router could do so much. Reconsider. You can setup your time machine drive and hook it up to the router too great for a laptop

3. vant macrumors 65816

Routers tend to fail. In fact, I think they are the 'most likely to fail' out of any electronic product.

I'd take the Airport Express/Extreme just so I can put the AppleCare on it. Dealing with Linksys/Netgear tech support is a massive pain in the ass. I would know, I just called them last week about my 2 month old cheap N router failing.

My next router will be an Apple one. Just for the 'walk-in service' alone.

My other router, a WRT54G2, has been spotty. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect but it only happens once a week or so.

4. koolsand macrumors newbie

Airport has issues if you put a VPN server behind it

All the apple airport devices does not go well with VPN. If you have to expose a VPN via Airport....it is not easy though...but other routers which has vpn passthorugh capabilities will make your life easies if you would have to go with vpn...