Need advice on a Verizon upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lichen86, Sep 27, 2014.

1. lichen86 macrumors newbie

My dad was way overdue for an upgrade... he was still rocking an 8GB iphone 4 on Verizon. He is very much a tech luddite, and didn't have any interest in getting a different phone. He never even upgraded to IOS7 because he likes 6 so much. Nevertheless, I was able to convince him that it was finally time to lay his trusty iphone 4 to rest because of the attractive $200 trade in credit through Verizon for upgrading to the 6. He reluctantly agreed and last week he got his new iphone 6 16gb SG. After a few days with the new phone he is not happy with it and wants to go back to his 4. He doesn't like the size of the 6, he wears his phone on a belt clip holster and he says he just can't get used to larger phone. No matter how much I try to convince him he refuses to keep his 6.

He goes to the Verizon store today and looks at the 5S and feels the size is acceptable.

Now the question - is this the best way for him to switch to the 5S?

-Take his $200 trade in credit from Verizon back to the store and buy a brand new 5S 16GB full retail, $550 minus $200 credit, his net cost is $350 plus tax
    -Move his number from the 6 to the 5S
    -Sell the 6 on CL, $700 seems like a conservative figure in our area.
    -His net profit is approx $350 and he now a shiny new 5S that he is happy with

Are there any reasons why this wouldn't work? Are there any issues trying to sell a Verizon iphone that is still on contract?

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

3. Whtchdr macrumors member

You won't have any issues selling the phone as long as the account is in good standing. Your plan is solid.

4. lichen86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Might consider the trade + cash, but going rate for used 5s phones here is $350-400, my dad would get a brand new one for $350+tax with his $200 credit.