Need advice on adding Blu-ray disk burner

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by driphone, Oct 23, 2008.

1. driphone macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I need to burn my HD home movies to Blu-ray disk. What drive do you recommend for optimum conversion quality that can be installed in a mac pro.
    How easy is the installation? any special mac hardware requirement?
    TIA

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could use the LG GGW-H20LK. Just attach a SATA cable from the drive to one of the ODD_SATA ports. :) Other members have used it successfully, and it's rated well.

BTW, I assume you haven't recorded your home movies with HDCP. :eek: ;)

If you also want to use the drive in windows, you'd need to install the AHCI drivers. For help with this, see post #3 here.

Hope this helps. :)

3. driphone thread starter macrumors regular

thx for the reply, what is HDCP?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)

Check wiki for details. ;)

5. driphone thread starter macrumors regular

I see now:)...I meant the personal movies of kids taken by HD Sony camcorder not commercial movies and going back to the hardware setup question, any special must have's in configuring the Mac Pro.
    Thx again.

6. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

If you can keep your movies under 30 minutes you can burn Blu Ray HD on a standard DVD using Toast with the Blu Ray plug in ($20 for the plug in). I edit in Final Cut Express, save as a Quicktime movie and burn away.
    I figure most people won't want to watch a home video longer then about 10 minutes so that works perfect for me.
    Keep in mind it cost about .25-.50 cents for a standard DVD disc and it cost $10.00-$20.00 for one Blu Ray disc.

If you really want a Blu Ray burner here is one option:
    http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/