Need advice on an external DVD burner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pottebaum, May 22, 2008.

1. pottebaum macrumors member

Hey, I have a 2.1 ghz Macbook with Leopard, and I'm looking to buy an external DVD burner.

Throughout my search, though, I've found that most Mac compatible burners tend to be out of my price range ($100+).

But I did hear from someone that most DVD burners are compatible with modern Macs. Is this true?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Very true, I used a LiteOn in an external case for a long time and then I stumbled upon a nice looking Sony DRX-830U for $30 and it works flawlessly.

3. pottebaum thread starter macrumors member

Wow. 30 bucks? Awesome! Where'd you come across that deal?

So even thought he software that comes with the burner isn't mac compatible, it still works with iDvd?

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I found it on the clearance section of a Staples. The burning software that comes with the Mac works great on it, I've used it in iTunes, iDVD, and even via the Finder to create some back-ups.

5. pottebaum thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That's very reassuring.

Did the programs just work automatically, or did you need to do any kind of hacking?

6. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Nope they just worked, I remember under 10.3 I had to install something else but 10.4 & 10.5 they have just worked when plugged in.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Get internal burner and an external enclosure and put it together.

Burner $27 (you don't need cables or screws as the enclosure comes with them). There are many others for various prices.
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151155

You can probably find a 5.25" enclosure on newegg also. Paying a little bit more for one that has both Firewire and USB might be useful if you need to use it on pcs, otherwise I suggest firewire. Read the reviews first. Make sure it's 5.25 for a cd/dvd drive.

Don't need software.

8. drrich2 macrumors member

Hi:

Long as you're buying, consider getting a Lightscribe capable DVD burner, in case you decide you'd like to make them.

Richard.

9. IbookUser6 macrumors newbie

DVD burner

Cycling Platypus, what software enabled you to use your DRX-830u with 10.3?

10. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Never used the DRX-830U with 10.3 but Patchburn is what I used for the LiteOn that I used and it should work for any external drive in 10.3.x.