Need advice on an external HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Godzdude, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Godzdude macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just bought my macbook about two weeks ago, and I want to buy an external harddrive. I would like to be able to access it via WiFi. I was wondering if anyone has experience with that, and could give me some advice on which one to buy.

I am currently looking at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822720012

Also: If I use a WiFi harddrive, will I be able to access it anywhere on my WiFi College Campus? How about anywhere I have an internet connection?

Thanks a bunch!

-Godzdude :apple:

2. joehahn macrumors regular

as long as the wireless net work stays the same throughout campus, youll be able to access it.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

This is more than an external HD. You're looking at a media server or NAS, which is a little more complex than just plug and play.

For one thing, the software that comes with this item requires Windows, and is unlikely to be Mac compatible. Because of this, you may lose the management interface or other features, depending on how this unit works.

4. Godzdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know of any HDs that are wifi and compatible with MAC? All I want to be able to do is transfer files via wifi. I don't need all the Multimedia features that they offer. i would just like to be able to access my files without having to plug the HD in every time I use it.

Thanks
    - Godzdude :apple:

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Any NAS should work if you have a wireless router to connect it to. Buffalo makes NAS drives that are Mac-compatible.

As far as a drive with wi-fi built in, that's going to limit your choices, I imagine.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Time Capsule is the only HD I know of that is both
    - guaranteed to work with your Mac
    - wifi accessible

7. Godzdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, the time capsule is extremely expensive for a college student to be buying though... I'll look into the buffalo. Thanks!