Need Advice On Backing Up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dsnort, Sep 13, 2007.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I'm going to get an external hard drive to back up my two Macs, an iMac and a Macbook. I want to get a single external drive, big enough to handle both comps, and connect through my Extreme Base station. I had a few questions:

1. Can I back up both comps to the same drive? Maybe a partition for each?

2. Is it best to just back up certain files, or make a clone of the hard dive on the backup? And how do you clone a hard drive?( I've seen it mentioned, but don't know how to do it.)

Any help would be appreciated

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

1. Yes, you can back up 2 computers to the same drive, and a partition for each is exactly what I would recommend.

2. That depends on how much space you have. I prefer to back up EVERYTHING... that way if I ever screw something up with the OS, or lose a music file, or a document I created, I can restore and get it back.

One thing I would tell you to consider though... backing up can move large amounts of data (I routinely see backups in excess of 2GB, I backup my MBP at least every other day, sometimes more). I have seen a backup (excluding the initial) of ~38GB... doing that over a wireless connection could take HOURS. I use a FW400 drive, and would recommend that setup as well. I see transfer rates 400MB/min+ ...MUCH, MUCH faster. Just something to consider.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Cloning the drive is the best especially the first time. You can use Superduper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, although even Disk Utility will copy a drive for you. Superduper! does the best job from what I can see. I have a FW400 MyBook drive that has separate partions for my OSX and Windows partitions on my main drive as well as partitions for several other machines (OSX and Windows).