Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukefan71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Hey all. First post here, and great forum. I recently purchased a Macbook Pro, and am interested in backing up the DVD's I own, to transport to a weekend home. I also want to put some of them in my iTunes library to watch on an Ipod Touch.

I have handbrake/VLC to do the iTunes conversion; I pretty well understand that.

I also have RipIt, and understand how to use it. I am confused on what to do after I rip though. Many of the movies I use RipIt for go onto an external. Then, I want to make backup copies of them. I also use RipIt for the movies handbrake won't work with. I need help with a program to burn them.

I was going to purchase Toast, Dvd2oneX, or DVDRemaster. I have read quite a few posts on each of them, but some date to times when it does not appear apps like Dvd2oneX or Remaster burned.

Basically, I want a program that can fiddle with the RipIt movies (compression, etc), then if I choose it can burn them (and the iTunes movies)as well as some home movies edited with iMovie and stored. I know iDVD works with iMovie, but I need an image to burn the ripped ones. I'd really like to bypass the image step. The needs are really basic.

I have also done the MRoogle, but can't seem to put together a recent comparison that answers my specific question. Basically, an updated comparison on the three. Honestly, it looks like they do the same things to an extent, and each would do what I need. I can also trial all but Toast, so I really need help there.

I don't mind paying for simplicity and convenience.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Hey all. First post here, and great forum. I recently purchased a Macbook Pro, and am interested in backing up the DVD's I own, to transport to a weekend home. I also want to put some of them in my iTunes library to watch on an Ipod Touch.

I have handbrake/VLC to do the iTunes conversion; I pretty well understand that.

I also have RipIt, and understand how to use it. I am confused on what to do after I rip though. Many of the movies I use RipIt for go onto an external. Then, I want to make backup copies of them. I also use RipIt for the movies handbrake won't work with. I need help with a program to burn them.

I was going to purchase Toast, Dvd2oneX, or DVDRemaster. I have read quite a few posts on each of them, but some date to times when it does not appear apps like Dvd2oneX or Remaster burned.

Basically, I want a program that can fiddle with the RipIt movies (compression, etc), then if I choose it can burn them (and the iTunes movies)as well as some home movies edited with iMovie and stored. I know iDVD works with iMovie, but I need an image to burn the ripped ones. I'd really like to bypass the image step. The needs are really basic.

I have also done the MRoogle, but can't seem to put together a recent comparison that answers my specific question. Basically, an updated comparison on the three. Honestly, it looks like they do the same things to an extent, and each would do what I need. I can also trial all but Toast, so I really need help there.

I don't mind paying for simplicity and convenience.

Well, in RipIt, if you haven't already done it, set it to create the rip as a .iso or .dmg, not the other one (can't remember what it is).

Then with Toast Titanium, you just select to burn an image to DVD, put in a DVD, and if it's a single layer DVD and you are burning a dual layer movie rip, Toast will compress it first then burn it for you.

Don't know about the other two.

dukefan71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find where RipIt allows the dvd to be ripped as an iso. I am new to it though, but I did just check.

What I am hoping for is basically an app to work with RipIt and do general burning.

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
The problem is that RipIt output is junk. Most third-party tools won't even accept the output from RipIt or will fail outright when trying to work with it. (DVD2OneX, DVDRemaster, Toast, Popcorn, et al.)

My suggestion is to use something like MacTheRipper or Mac DVD Ripper Pro to produce the DVD rip. DVDRemaster is fantastic but rather expensive ($49), I use it daily so well worth the cost for me.

There is a great free utility called Burn which will write a video DVD as well.

dukefan71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
I'm sure MacDVDRipper pro is a great app; I may buy it later too. Luckily RipIt has worked well so far, with Handbrake at least. So, can I assume that for the most part, Toast/Popcorn, DVDRemaster, and Dvd2oneX can do the same things? I know one of them can rip with Fairmount- and I know it's not the Roxio products- I just can't recall which one at the moment.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I believe DVD2OneX can rip, but doesn't have the best decoding in it. Not sure about that, but seems like that's how it was.

I've personally had no issues with RipIt rips and Toast. Burn is great, but the compression isn't built into that one.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I use Toast 10 for everything it has more tools then you can think of. For normal data burning i use Burn, its simple, fast and best of all free. It does not have the options Toast has but it can hold its own.

dukefan71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Well I tried all three. DVDremaster was good, but didn't seem quite as user friendly as the other two. DVD2One is a great program; very simple to use. And Toast seems to have everything in it.

I thought DVD2One burned faster than Toast, but I liked all the options in Toast. So I bought both. Probably didn't need to, but I liked DVD2One enough to support it and use it for general burning. Toast, I can use for the other stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.