Need advice on buying 27" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JDee, Oct 22, 2009.

1. JDee macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I started back in September 2008 as a "first-time Apple buyer". Before this, I really despised Apple and thought Microsoft was thee best computer company out there.

Back near that time, the first Apple Store in Northern Ireland opened and it happened that I found this out. I went to the Apple Store opening launch that morning and I couldn't believe what I have been missing out on for the past few years!

It was fantastic, and that day I immediately purchased a 20 inch iMac. I was absolutely thrilled with it, although things started messing up! Not to worry though, I did go into the store and everything was sorted.

From then, I have since sold my 20 inch iMac and bought the new 13" MacBook Pro. My main reason for this was for portability and I couldn't just afford the 13" MacBook Pro AND the 20" iMac.

I am now typing on my MBP and to be honest, I really preferred the screen size on my old iMac. The portability of the MBP 13" is good but to be honest, there is not enough power in it and I only have around 5GB of space left and I have only made a few movies on iMovie :S

So a couple of days ago (as a regular member of MacRumors), I loaded up Safari and noticed that there was a rumor about new iMacs coming up and that the store was down.

When the new 27 inches were released, I immediately fell in love with them at first sight!

I was in the Apple Store the Sunday before and the 30" ACD I thought was ABSOLUTELY HUGE. I have a few questions before I actually buy this piece of kit.

1. Is the actual 27" iMac huge? Is it similar to the 30" ACD (size wize)

2. I regularly watch movies, make movies on iMovie, surf, email, iTunes, MSN, Skype, Excel, GarageBand all at the same time. Would the C2D be able to handle this no problem?

3. I've heard reviews of the new 'Magic Mouse' being terrible - if I should order this today, should I go for the Magic Mouse? (I already have the Wireless Mighty & Wireless BTK)

4. Should I wait a while for the prices to go down?

5. If you have / have seen the 27" iMac C2D, would you recommend it and tell me what you think about it?

6. I am a uni student and word process quite a lot. I need an answer to each of these:
    AppleCare or not?
    Office or iWork?

Thanks so much everyone!

2. sfmountainbiker macrumors regular

I'll give a shot at a reply.

1. I just saw the 27" today for the first time, as I was worried that it might be too big (I am also currently using an older MBP). I was surprised that it really seems like the perfect size. The 21.5" looked like your average computer...the 30" ACD is just a bit too big...and the 27" was just gorgeous. Anyways, in terms of size, it's all sort of relative to what you like, are looking for, and have space for. I'm big into photography, so the bigger the screen, the better.

2. I think a C2D should be able to handle all that, especially if you up it to the 3.33GHz. In any case, any of the new iMacs should be able to handle this kind of computing. Plus, all the new iMac's have four memory slots, of which only two are being used making upgrades later on easy if needed.

3. I havent read any reviews, but my first impressions with the magic mouse were a little mixed. It was easy enough to use, but scrolling felt a little strange (may just be a bit of a learning curve). A couple times I tried to scroll and the screen lagged a bit. This may be able to be fixed either through system preferences, or perhaps even with an update down the road. If you already have the mighty mouse, and you get a free magic mouse with new purchase, I really don't see what the dilllema is.

4. Prices are not going down anytime soon. You could wait for a refurbished 27" iMac, but my guess is you won't see those until Jan/Feb at the earliest. Guess it depends on how soon you want a new computer.

5. As I mentioned above, just saw it today. It's really a 'beaut. Photos/video looked amazing on it, and the design of the overall unit is just a marvel.

6. I personally always buy AppleCare. It didn't really come into play with my MBP, but my last MacBook required quite a bit of servicing due to problems with the motherboard. These would have been very expensive without the AppleCare, and I was glad to have it. As for Office vs. iWork, it depends on your needs, but compatability is really key with word processing. I would lean towards Office, but you probably don't need a new version if you have an old one. I think I'm still using my Mac-Office suite from 2003, and it works fine. Every new computer I buy, I just copy the application to the new computer and it has worked fine.

Cheers and good luck! I can't wait for my 27" quad-core as soon as they are released!

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You don't need this new computer. What you should get is an external monitor for your MacBook.

Nothing can replace the Windows version of Office, not even the Mac version of Office. If you want 100% compatibility with documents created with Office, you need the Windows version.

If you are a University student then you can get a free 3 year warranty when you buy online from http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk.

4. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

all i can say is... in the shop the 27 looks smaller and the 21.5 looks tiny... i had this problem with the 24 and 20" but then as soon as i took the 20 home i realised how bloody big the apple stores were in comparison to my office [​IMG] for that reason i suggest a 21.5... and as for all of your other stuff, both imacs will be more then suitable for what you want

5. JDee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this everyone - anyone else wanna' tell me their stories?

6. DDave macrumors regular

I've seen both in person. The 27 is big and looks great, but big. The 21.5 looks very similar size wise as the 24 when side by side. Also I've used the new mouse and really like it. It will take some to get used to it, but I really like. I'm not sure if I'm getting a 21 or 27. They both look great.