Need advice on buying a 256gb USB Flash Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Imola Ghost, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I've never looked into buying one of these things and to tell you the truth I would have looked sooner but didn't realize they made them this size. Anyway, I want one to put a lot of music on in my car. I already have a USB hard drive but I believe the Flash drive would work out way better. I only need about 160gb but I'd like to have extra room for more music and I'm re-ripping my music to a higher bit rate and the extra room will be needed.

So, I don't really need one that has fast write speeds I just need one so that my car can access the music reliably and fast. The USB hard drive I have in it now is decent but this is where I believe the flash drive will be better. I've taken my iPhone and connected it to access it with the car and it's much faster than the USB hard drive I have now. I believe it's because the iPhone uses a SSD and I've checked on these and they are relatively more expensive than flash drives.

Like I said I only need it to write to here and there and the bulk of the music will be added initially and don't care for the fastest write speeds only fast read speeds, as I don't know if these are all the same in that area or not but it does need to read fast. I'd like it to be a reliable, quality product that will last so any help is greatly appreciated. The reason I ask is that as soon as I found out that there were flash drives I immediately started looking at them and became interested but soon found out that there were some priced at $70 on ebay and some priced at $900 from a Kingston brand. So this big price difference got me very confused. Here's one that I found on ebay and I don't know what to think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Flash-Drive-256GB-Real-Leather_W0QQitemZ260556484464QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item3caa606f70#ht_972wt_1200

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

At first I though it was a typo, or you were crazy :p then I did a Google search and there really are 256 GB flash drives now! :eek: The $70 one you found obviously is either a typo or maybe an auction. They are crazy expensive and if you ask me, an incredible waste of money.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

It is fake... How can you have fusia or green leather?

4. AppleMactablet macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

I recently made the decision to go from flashdrive to HDD-I'm :)

I kept upgrading from 1gb-2gb-4gb-8gb..Then I stoped

I got a 250gb WD external harddrive (formated it-the WD install stinks)
    and now have 200gb extra gb to do what with.

But I just can't drop it.

I'm an ebay member-90 for 256gb is a scam
    900 for 256gb is just a ripoff

5. techkingston08 macrumors newbie

Kingston 256GB USb Flash Drive

At this time, Kingston is the only company making a 256GB flash drive and this one was just released this month. It is an expensive product but if you really want one, it is available. The product name is the DataTraveler 310. Here's the link to Kingston's site: http://www.kingston.com/flash/dt310.asp

You can buy this direct from Kingston for $1108, if doesn't look like NewEgg or Buy.com have them available yet.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

If you get one really for a lot less than what kingston charges on the website it will be a fake. I would avoid buying a flash drive on ebay or amazon. Go to newegg, tiger direct or similar store and you will get a genuine drive.

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

It would be faster, but it's not exactly 10x the price faster now is it? Just get a new fast Hard Drive (larger capacities are more dense and therefore faster) and be done with it.

P.S. The iPhone does not use an SSD.

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I think that guys ebay rating of 3 says it all.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

leather is easily dyed.

11. babahi macrumors newbie

A helpful FYO: all the really cheapo USB flash sticks are fake. I looked into getting some a few weeks back and read up on how there are only a few available.

Google USB STICK FAKE and you'll get all the info you need.

Finally, don't forget to check out eBay guides about the fakes on that very site. The auction you posted is clearly a fake one and you will lose your money.

Hope this helps!

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

Uh.. yes, yes it does. The iPhone uses solid state storage just like a lot of other things do.