Need advice on buying a MB Pro.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RocknRolla, Mar 28, 2009.

1. RocknRolla macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy a MB Pro right now and I'm trying to figure which one would be the best for me. I'm going to be doing a lot of video editing on it and I'm trying to figure out what I need and don't need. For starters, I'm going with one of the two 15-inch ones. What is GT with 256mb/512mb? Is better to go with the 512 if I'm going to be doing a lot of video editing on it? And as far as processor, do I go with the 2.93Ghz instead of the 2.66? Those are really the only questions I have. I know I have to go with a 7,200 rpm hard drive. If you guys have any other helpful tips, that would be great. Thanks guys.

2. txnoob macrumors 6502

The 2.66Ghz CPU and the 256MB video card will be fine. However, if you can afford more, get more. It will only increase the longevity it's it's usefulness and increase it's resale value later.

EDIT: That said, most people buy more machine than they need! LOL

3. RocknRolla thread starter macrumors newbie

Could I upgrade those later and would it be more expensive and harder if I can upgrade later on?

4. txnoob macrumors 6502

Those are NOT things you can upgrade later. The only thing you can upgrade later would be the Memory and Hard drive.

5. RocknRolla thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Now I know what to go with. Thanks. You've helped a lot.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

For video editing, you'd probably benefit from the higher clock speed and more VRAM (256/512MB). But I think the 2.66 GHz model is plenty.

7. RocknRolla thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok. If I can go with the 2.66 and save $300, I'll do that instead. Thanks SnowLeopard.

8. RocknRolla thread starter macrumors newbie

Someone on another forums said I won't notice a big difference between the 2.4ghz and the 2.66ghz. Is this true? If it doesn't affect the video editing I would just get the 2.4ghz instead.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The processor difference between the models is negligible, but the increased video ram may make a difference in how long you can keep the machine. I bought a 12" g4 powerbook as a secondary/tertiary machine, and I choose it over a similar ibook because it has twice the video memory. The ibook only has 32 megs of video ram, and I'm not sure how much longer it will be able to watch videos etc., on the net.

If you're like most people on this forum, it may not matter since you'll probably be swapping computers every 2-3 years anyway.