Need advice on buying MacBook 2.4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JDee, May 28, 2009.

1. JDee macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

In the next few weeks, my iMac will be sold (£550 for 2.4GHz late 08' model) and I will have enough money to buy a MacBook 2.4 notebook.

I have a few questions though.

1) What are the must have accesories to have?
    2) I will be going to Italy in July and am bringing my iPhone, iPod and MacBook :rolleyes: and will want to charge them with one plug. Is there something I can buy?
    3) I can wait until WWDC for updates, but is it likely? If the WMB's got an update, should the UMBs?
    4) What is a good, reliable and price affordable case for just carrying about?
    5) I don't know, but are you allowed laptops on planes?
    6) Do you reccomend the backlit keyboard on the 2.4GHz model - I am definitely not changing my mind about the higher end MB.
    7) Do you like it overall?

Thanks guys :)

2. kpark42 macrumors newbie

To be honest, I don't yet have a Macbook but I'm getting one tomorrow! I can answer some of these questions without bias as I've been doing research for the past few weeks.

I've also been conflicted about waiting for WWDC or not but I came to the conclusion that I just want it and any change they make will not degrade the quality of the laptop anyway. Besides, even if they do have a speed bump it will be negligible and will only give you like 5~20 second advantages even with CPU intensive tasks such as extracting files or encoding video. Anything people say here will be speculation and the decision will always be up to you. In short, you have to make your own decision knowing that there may or may not be an update.

So while I'm waiting for the shop I'm buying my uMBP from is getting a QWERTY keyboard from their warehouse (I live in Europe) I was researching cases. Seems like hardshell cases may cause problems and sleeves with zippers could also cause some damage when you're putting the laptop in and taking it out.

So far this appeals to me the most and I think I have made my mind.

1) There are no "must have" accessories; that's why they're called "accessories." :rolleyes:
    3) I've read every single post in existence on this topic and the answers are always speculations at best.
    4) I'm doing research too but it seems that people have mixed feelings on hardshell cases (some get scratches, some don't). I found most people just use sleeves.
    5) Yes although they must be off while take-off and landing.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

0) Don't buy a 2.4GHz MacBook. They are hideously overpriced and come with little extra over the 2.0GHz model. I have the 'slower' machine and I am a heavy user, yet I never feel the need for more CPU power. Save your £200.

1) None? It's an all in one computer, you don't really need anything else.

2) http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M8794G/B?fnode=MTY1NDA4NA&mco=MjE0OTQ4NQ

3) If they do it won't be significant at all. The current models are relatively problem free and have good speed.

4) I have a backpack which I got from www.ebags.co.uk and it is very good.

5) Yes, but you must turn off the WiFi/Bluetooth.

6) This goes back to the first point I made and it really is the only thing which the top model has which the other's don't. You have to consider how often you will use the computer in a location where there is no light at all. I found that this was never, so there was no point paying £200 extra for a couple of LEDs under the keyboard.

7) I think it's a very well constructed computer but damn it is ugly to look at. I have no idea why Apple decided to make the keyboard and screen edge black and I still think they would have been on to a real winner if they had just made them silver or grey. I like how much cooler it runs compared to my 2007 2.2GHz MacBook.

4. JDee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all!!

Is there any other suggestions about this?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The World traveler Kit is a huge ripoff, and furthermore it only plugs into Mac and iPod adapters, so you won't be able to charge your iPhone with it. The closest you could come to charging all of them with one plug is to buy something like I described here and then plug your iPod and iPhone into your computer.