Need advice on buying my first Mac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pugpuppydude, May 20, 2009.

1. Pugpuppydude macrumors regular

I am looking to buy a new 20" iMac. I officially NEED the computer by July 10th but would like it now. I am wondering if i should wait till July to make my purchase or order it now. I am willing to wait if Snow comes out before then but I am unfamiliar with how Apple does all this releasing stuff. Also i am wondering if there will be any minor upgrades or price drops soon to the iMac.

What would you all do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hoodman macrumors newbie

the iMac had just been released, so is a good time to purchase. the hardware wont be changing at least for 6 months. You could also wait and see if there is a refurb one, they are cheaper...

With Snow Leopard we exactly don't know when it will be released, so you could take the risk and wait or take the risk and buy and then pay the 150$ , it's a coin toss.

3. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Well, I would at least wait a couple of weeks. Back to school promotions should start at the beginning of June, so you could take advantage of a discount or some free give (ipod or so).

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Buy a refurbished iMac with discreet graphics - they are a good deal right now. You can never go wrong with discreet graphics. We have the older 800MHz bus one with 256 Meg ATI graphics at church and it still runs along...

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you're ready to buy, go ahead and buy - it's a fine machine and you'll get to enjoy it that much sooner.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

WWDC is 2 weeks away. I'd never buy a new Apple product so close to major announcements. You never know what they will introduce.

7. The Hammer macrumors regular

That's right. Wait a bit longer.