Need advice on buying used/refurb Iphone 6 or 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtbarnes, Oct 5, 2017.

1. mtbarnes macrumors newbie

I have been using a 5c for the last few years and it is finally starting to show its age and act up. I am also about to start a new job and have been told that a newer phone with a bigger screen would be very helpful so I am looking at getting a used or refurbished 6 Plus or 6S Plus. I don't take too many pics or use a lot of apps so I am trying to keep costs down and go with the 16gb until my budget will allow an upgrade. Can anyone tell me the big differences I will notice between the 6 Plus and the 6S plus? Also, if anyone can direct me to the best online outlet to get a used or refurbished phone would be great. I am hoping to not have to spend much over $400 if I have to.

Thanks very much in advance!

2. aetherpeak Suspended

Go 6S Plus for sure. More RAM, better camera, faster processor, and guaranteed support for several more years.

For the best price, look on Swappa. you should very easily be able to get one in good condition for well under your budget of $400.

Edit: After a quick check, your budget will currently get you a mint condition 16GB, or good to mint condition 64GB, both with a bit of savings. Hope that helps!

3. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Stay far away from a 6+...no matter how cheap it is.

4. aetherpeak Suspended

I wouldn't go that far. But going into it with the understanding that the iPhone 6+ is basically near EoL is important. For $100 or so? Yeah, that's fine, and you'll get a year out of it. But much more and it's throwing money away.

5. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

6S+ is my favorite iPhone of all time. Beast. Bad@$$ camera.

6. mtbarnes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the comments. I was intending to upgrade sometime within a year anyway. I have also been using StraightTalk as my service for the last few years with no issues. Would I have any problems with this service and the 6+?

7. aetherpeak Suspended

If you can get the 6 Plus for well under $200? Sure. Otherwise don't waste your time to save $25-75, which is the current going rate difference.

8. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

6s plus will holds its value much better when you go to sell it next year. It’s a pretty big upgrade over the 6

9. nordique, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

nordique macrumors 65816

First bit of advice:
    Get the 6s or 6s Plus

Second bit of advice:
    Do NOT get the 6 or 6 Plus

Third bit of advice:
    Spend the extra bit of $ if you can find a clever way and get a 32GB or 64GB model

Differences between the two phones:
    1) 6s is much more powerful, faster more pleasant iOS experience
    2) 6s has more ram (double the ram, more iOS 11 friendly and more future proof)
    3) 6s has a much better rear camera capable of shooting 4k
    6s also has a much, much better front facing camera
    6s also has much better video recording capabilities
    4) 6s Plus has slightly better battery life than 6 Plus (integrated "smarter" commotion processor, smaller more energy efficient chip)
    5) 6s has 3D touch, which is becoming a more important feature in iOS moving forward
    6) "Hey Siri" is incredibly handy at times when getting ready, driving, etc...for little things like checking weather, adding reminders, getting directions, making phone calls, or calculations
    7) 6s has 7000 series aluminum which is much more sturdy and strong, significantly less prone to bending (might become a problem with 6 plus if you pocket it due to a major design flaw....)
    8) LTE-Advanced is supported, with faster speeds (more future proofed) and way more cell bands supported (better for global travelling)
    9) 6s supports Bluetooth 4.2 - this is minor, as many 6/6 plus devices support it but not all those post launch up to 6s release, interestingly enough...
    10) Ion X glass -> seems to be harder (more resistant to cracks) than the glass used in 6/6 plus
    11) WiFi with MIMO support (just the potential for faster wifi and more secure connections), minor thing
    12) Oh, almost forgot this one
    - Second Gen Touch ID on the 6s...it's faster and more accurate than the touch ID on the 6/6+
    13) minor thing, but the 6s has a haptic engine, whereas the 6 has a vibration motor. All the new iPhones have haptic engines now, they are quieter and more advanced motors capable of minor or major vibrations

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

As you can see, the iPhone 6s is the primary choice based on others' suggestions in here. I would also agree with that. If you want to find the best prices, I would suggest looking at Swappa. I would avoid eBay if you can.

The other consideration, is iOS support. The iPhone 6s will receive longer iOS support over the iPhone 6. Especially being that you don't upgrade likely very often, this is something you may want to consider.

11. Indian Devil macrumors regular

I was in the same boat and have gone for a 6 as that was more than $200 less. As you I am not a heavy user and 6 does the job just fine. Will upgrade sometime in 2018, till then I am sure this will do the job.

Btw haven't updated to iOS 11 and no plan of doing that in the near future, iOS 10.3.3 is boss.