Need advice on car audio

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mon999, Feb 13, 2013.

1. mon999 macrumors newbie

hello folks,

I bought a pretty old car with a damn cassette player (some young people here might not know what that is lol).

I'm wondering if there is any reasonably-priced accessory that will let me play my iphone music in the car. by that, I mean something like an add-on or a separate device, but not a new CD player with AUX. rather a dock for example that connects directly to the speakers.

I also don't want those tapes with a wire that u connect to the iphone. they have a terrible quality.

I also would love something that charges the iphone while it is connected.

any help?

thank you..

2. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

If you want to keep the existing head unit (I did, I like the factory look) and it has no aux in, you best bet is an FM modulator (not FM transmitter).

I use the Dice 200 USB with my iphone 5 and its great.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not directly to the speakers. You need something like a head unit with an amp to drive the speakers. Check the usual aftermarket interface makers (USA Spec, Grom, DICE, PAC, etc) to see if they make one for your car's stereo -- assuming it's factory.

Otherwise you're stuck using a cassette adapter or FM modulator if you're not willing to replace the head unit. Both have terrible sound quality. The cassette adapter is likely to be marginally better.

In other words, a wired modulator.

4. theautopilot, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Wrong, the cassette tape is the worst possible sound quality. Even a standard cheap FM transmitter would be better, but neither are good. I have experimented with many systems in many cars.

The sound from a decent FM modulator can be very good indeed. Much better than a well tuned FM station. Depending on how good your head, not far off a proper wired auxiliary connection. In fact in my car its hard to tell the difference between a CD and a high bitrate file via the FM modulator.

The modulator is wired directly into the antenna port and cuts out the car antenna for zero interference.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Old has nothing todo with it. Even my 2006 Acura has a cassette deck. Go figure.

FM transmitters suck.

In my old 28yr old 4Runner. I put in a Pioneer BT unit. Amazing. Freaking amazing.

HDRadio, opened up about 10 new stations in ATL area.
    USB port in the rear plug iPhone in direct, charge etc. (I don't use it, I use a cigarette Griffin Dual Micro Bolt thingy)
    Aux In on front.

Bluetooth. Wireless links for music, Siri directions, etc! omg it's awesome. Supports handfree calling (haven't tested visor mic yet.)

When I get a call, it mutes audio, and then resumes for me. When I make a call, the same thing. Even if I'm listening to FM radio. It always auto links via Bluetooth when I crank her up.

My Acura is getting this upgrade soonish.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Wha wha WHAT!?!?!? :eek:

7. mon999 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for the input..

quality is crucial to me. so, i wouldn't mind replacing the head unit (looks so ugly that i wouldn't mind replacing it with a prick).

so is there a replacement that is not so fancy? i don't need a cd player nor hands-free. all i need is play my iphone music with a good quality without investing a lot of money in an old car.

PS: i live in australia not USA.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes

Ghey

9. stephen10309 macrumors newbie

i agreee with other posters saying that fm transmitters are horrible, i went through 3 of them and i wasnt COMPLETELY happy. i have to say the best one i bought was a 4 dollar one off amazon, it had better quality than the 60 dollar monster transmitter i bought. I got sick of it so a month ago i looked on the walmart website and bought a kenwood head unit and 2 speakers for $60. yes, 60! best idea I had. i would definitely consider it. plus the installation isn't that hard at all.
    good luck!

10. mon999 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks but why speakers? did you have to replaces the original speakers or the speakers will be sitting on the dashboard?
    any picture or link will be appreciated.

11. stephen10309 macrumors newbie

nono, i just had 4 blown speakers in my car (no idea why) so i bought the bundle. the head unit alone was 80 dollars on crutchfield.com and best buy. then the speakers another 50 a set. you can buy yourself just a head unit and itll work with te speakers you have in your car perfectly fine. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenwood-P...air-of-6-1-2-Coaxial-Speakers-Bundle/21550143
    this is the bundle i bought, works amazing!

12. mon999 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot buddy.. i guess head units are much cheaper than i thought nowadays.. will get myself a new head unit then..

thanks everybody

13. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Get a $50 cd receiver with aux input. Don't waste a minute on other ideas. Not worth the time or effort.

14. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

what kind of car is it? year make model?

you can get plug and play head units for pretty cheap nowadays. Even though they may not ship to your country check out a site like crutchfield.com. They have a pretty good system to allow you to input your car and it will spit out what fits, what type of harnesses needed if any, and what type of brackets need if any. There prices are usually higher than elsewhere but its a good reference point.

15. dma550 macrumors 6502

I totally agree, even the lowest end Alpine will improve quality 100% and provide functionality you'd piece together for hundreds more spent!

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Alpine CDE-121 - plug in your iPhone USB cable and off you go.
    [​IMG]

17. mon999 thread starter macrumors newbie

a 1997 camry.. and i will throw in a photo as well since im sitting in the car right now:
    [​IMG]

thanks for the link.. will check that one out.

----------

thanks everybody.. now all i have to do is decide which is the best cd receiver for me and order it.

18. Giuly, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  19. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Which model Pioneer did you buy? I'm trying to decide between the DEH-P9400BH and the DEH-X6500BT. The only real difference I can see between the two is that the 9400 has a built-in HD tuner. Not sure that's worth it to me.

Since you're in Metro Atlanta as well, I have another question -- did you install the new stereo yourself or have a place do it? I've never done a car stereo install so I'm planning to get it done somewhere. The best rated place I could find is CarTunes in Sandy Springs, but they want $125 to install the head unit and the mic. That seems high to me (especially considering I can get the X6500BT on Amazon for $110.). The thought of paying more for the installation than the hardware itself bothers me.

20. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

You already have an aftermarket radio and dash kit. If you buy from Crutchfiled-which I highly recommend for first timers-they give you instructions, tech support, kits, adapters, etc, you will be set. If you don't but from Crutch, pull the radio out and see if someone used a wire hardness adapter, or just hacked up the stock wiring before you buy anything.

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I did it myself.
    With adapter, and faceplate installs, you could be looking at $30 hardware, and with figuring out how dash parts come apart, 2 hours in labor at $60/hr. $125 seems realistically not bad. But I don't know what other shops charge.

8400BH from Amazon.

Look at all the extra stations you get in crystal clear digital HD in Atlanta:
    http://www.hdradio.com/stations/Georgia-GA/Atlanta-5
    Worth it for me.

22. dma550 macrumors 6502

How are you with tech stuff? I just did a amped system in my lotus that had me taking the whole interior apart. Yours wiull likely be buying a proper harness for your car, buying the head unit, and a crimper and some basic tools from radio shack or sears ($25 from harbor freight, $50 from sears)

You'll need some nice crimps, 22g will do, a crimper, a wire stripper, some painters tape to cover things you don't want scraped while prying. It's actually kind of enjoyable if you have a warm place to do it ;)