Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stilldebating

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Hello community. I am currently in the market for a new smartphone as I've had the Samsung Galaxy S5 for over 3 years now. The picture is not yet clear to me on whether or not to make the switch to Iphone from Android. The Samsung Note 8 looks enticing, but the Iphone does as well. For the record, I'm looking for the biggest screen possible, so I would definitely go with something like the 8 plus over its smaller counterpart. Can some Iphone experts here give me the rundown on why it's better to take Iphone over any Android?

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
If you want the largest screen you’re going to want the note 8 honestly. The screen on the X isn’t that big. It’s a decent size, but not as big as the note 8.
Otherwise with iPhone you’ll get a device that just works and is so simple and fun to use. That’s why I’ve stuck with iphone

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I'm looking for the biggest screen possible, so I would definitely go with something like the 8 plus over its smaller counterpart.
Note 8 display is 6.3". iPhone 8+ display is only 5.5". The iPhone X display is 5.8".

Pixel 2 XL is 6.0".

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Wow, I remember getting the samsung S5 when it first came out, i thought it was a great phone. Went downhill after about 4-5 months or so, I couldn't imagine using that thing for 3 years. Kudos to you.

As the above poster said, if you want the biggest screen go for the note 8. The iPhone X is smaller than people think (both body and display).

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Can some Iphone experts here give me the rundown on why it's better to take Iphone over any Android?
IMO, the main reason to get an iPhone is because you want the customer support that Apple offers, frequent software updates, and because the software and hardware are integrated very well so that the phone works smoothly with few bugs and if there are bugs, they get fixed quickly with software updates.

Hardware-wise the Samsung Galaxy flagships are superior to the iPhones. However, Android as an OS and the Samsung UI aren't as smooth as the iPhone.

I use Androids but everyone else in my family uses iPhones. I prefer having the more advanced hardware - for instance iPhones are just getting wireless charging this year whereas the Galaxies have had that for close to 3 years already. I also prefer the OLED displays and the only iPhone that will have an OLED display is the iPhone X. I also like having an SD card slot, which the iPhones don't have. My Note 8 also has a headphone jack and an FM radio, which I like having.

The iPhone X does not have a fingerprint sensor but will use your face to unlock it. Not sure how well it will work though, we won't know until it is released.

[doublepost=1508959429][/doublepost]
Wow, I remember getting the samsung S5 when it first came out, i thought it was a great phone. Went downhill after about 4-5 months or so, I couldn't imagine using that thing for 3 years.
The S5 was the last shittty phone that Samsung made. From the S6 on, the Galaxies have been great phones.
[doublepost=1508959550][/doublepost]
As the above poster said, if you want the biggest screen go for the note 8. The iPhone X is smaller than people think (both body and display).
It's got a 5.8" screen which is plenty big. The Note 8 is a gargantuan device.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...laxy-Note-8,Apple-iPhone-X/phones/10478,10414

Last edited:

stilldebating

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips guys, but I don't think I stated myself clearly. Yes, I want to get the biggest screen possible, but I also mean that if someone could really tell me of the advantages of Iphone over Android, I would go with Iphone, but of course picking the bigger screen of the two as far as the 8 and 8 plus is concerned. So I pretty much came here to see what Iphone lovers, users, and experts have to say on the topic of Iphone vs Android and why the Iphone/IOS is better. Thanks again.
[doublepost=1508959833][/doublepost]
IMO, the main reason to get an iPhone is because you want the customer support that Apple offers, frequent software updates, and because the software and hardware are integrated very well so that the phone works smoothly with few bugs and if there are bugs, they get fixed quickly with software updates.

Hardware-wise the Samsung Galaxy flagships are superior to the iPhones. However, Android as an OS and the Samsung UI aren't as smooth as the iPhone.

I use Androids but everyone else in my family uses iPhones. I prefer having the more advanced hardware - for instance iPhones are just getting wireless charging this year whereas the Galaxies have had that for close to 3 years already. I also prefer the OLED displays and the only iPhone that will have an OLED display is the iPhone X. I also like having an SD card slot, which the iPhones don't have. My Note 8 also has a headphone jack and an FM radio, which I like having.

The iPhone X does not have a fingerprint sensor but will use your face to unlock it. Not sure how well it will work though, we won't know until it is released.

[doublepost=1508959429][/doublepost]The S5 was the last shittty phone that Samsung made. From the S6 on, the Galaxies have been great phones.
[doublepost=1508959550][/doublepost]It's got a 5.8" screen which is plenty big. The Note 8 is a gargantuan device.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...laxy-Note-8,Apple-iPhone-X/phones/10478,10414
Just saw your reply right before my last post. Thanks!

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Just saw your reply right before my last post. Thanks!
You can't beat Apple's customer service, it is the best. If you get an iPhone, I would buy AppleCare+ it is worth every dime. Having iMessages is nice too if you have a lot of friends/family that have iPhones. It uses data though so keep that in mind if you use iMessages.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Hello community. I am currently in the market for a new smartphone as I've had the Samsung Galaxy S5 for over 3 years now. The picture is not yet clear to me on whether or not to make the switch to Iphone from Android. The Samsung Note 8 looks enticing, but the Iphone does as well. For the record, I'm looking for the biggest screen possible, so I would definitely go with something like the 8 plus over its smaller counterpart. Can some Iphone experts here give me the rundown on why it's better to take Iphone over any Android?
What you should really do is go to Best Buy or Verizon or whatever carrier you have, and look at them both on display. Compare the iPhone 8 Plus to the Note 8. Open up a couple apps, use the web browser, etc, just play around a bit. You will make up your mind very quickly.

Also you might like the iPhone X over the iPhone 8 Plus. Similar screen size, but smaller body.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
What you should really do is go to Best Buy or Verizon or whatever carrier you have, and look at them both on display. Compare the iPhone 8 Plus to the Note 8. Open up a couple apps, use the web browser, etc, just play around a bit.
And take pictures too.

The Note 8 is huge and if you put a case on it, it is even huger.

stilldebating

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Lost of good info here. Thanks guys. Is it me or are apps better on IOS? Android seems like it has more junk.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Lost of good info here. Thanks guys. Is it me or are apps better on IOS? Android seems like it has more junk.
I think the apps are generally higher quality in iOS because of the higher standards that Apple has for listings in their app store. But it really depends on the app.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I think if you went over to YouTube and searched iOS advantages over Android you'd get much more detailed explanations than what most people are going to take the time to type up over here.

Reactions: ABC5S and sdwaltz

stilldebating

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
I think if you went over to YouTube and searched iOS advantages over Android you'd get much more detailed explanations than what most people are going to take the time to type up over here.

Thanks. I Just figured that on a forum there would be some knowledgeable Iphone/IOS users here.

Last edited:

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
Every 3 or 4 years I get the itch to try an Android device, while I like the actual phones, Android just can’t stand up to iOS in terms of performance, support, and usability. With that said, with iOS you’ll experience a smooth OS for as long as the phone is supported and even then it will continue to work great. I know people still using an iPhone 5s. In my opinion, iCloud is head and shoulders above any other cloud service. Everything is always there, on every device and it works so well. Apple Music, iMessage, Podcasts, Apple Mail are my most used apps and are so well embedded into the ecosystem and all are a pleasure to use even if switching between an iPhone, iPad or MacBook. Everything just works, always. You’ll experience less crashes, less bugs, more updates, and better security. With all of that said, if Android focused more on the user experience rather than being so customizable, then I would make an attempt to switch to Android permanently myself as they’ve got some great phones at all price points. But iOS keeps me coming back.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Asking an Android fan but here goes -

Smooth 60fps UI from Day 1 to Day 1000 later as long as you don't update by the 3rd or 4th year. Not controlling the animation speed bothers me. Android will lag after a few months especially if using a skin.

Cheap to replace batteries and other components because Apple. People assume it's like Mercedes when I view it as Honda and Toyota. More common which makes fixing it easier.

I prefer Apple's display the most in color accuracy.

Great for internal audio which comes with headphones.

Ability to go to any Apple Store to solve problems. Great after-sales service.

No carrier bloatware, boot animation, or branding. Only Pixel in Verizon gets the same treatment.

If you have a Mac, it's a no-brainer.

I'm not into iMessages but if you have many people you know use it, it's great.

iPhone X is the perfect size for me and gesture controls!

Best resale value.

Greater ecosystem.

Longer software updates.

iOS products just last and age better like macOS age better than Windows. Go back to 2013.. The iPhone 5s with only 1GB RAM aged better than any of those Androids released that year.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
Asking an Android fan but here goes -

Smooth 60fps UI from Day 1 to Day 1000 later as long as you don't update by the 3rd or 4th year. Not controlling the animation speed bothers me. Android will lag after a few months especially if using a skin.

Cheap to replace batteries and other components because Apple. People assume it's like Mercedes when I view it as Honda and Toyota. More common which makes fixing it easier.

I prefer Apple's display the most in color accuracy.

Great for internal audio which comes with headphones.

Ability to go to any Apple Store to solve problems. Great after-sales service.

No carrier bloatware, boot animation, or branding. Only Pixel in Verizon gets the same treatment.

If you have a Mac, it's a no-brainer.

I'm not into iMessages but if you have many people you know use it, it's great.

iPhone X is the perfect size for me and gesture controls!

Best resale value.

Greater ecosystem.

Longer software updates.

iOS products just last and age better like macOS age better than Windows. Go back to 2013.. The iPhone 5s with only 1GB RAM aged better than any of those Androids released that year.
The Apple Store experience is a good point. It’s nice to have the option to interact with someone about any problem that may arise. Even phone support is good if there’s no Apple Store within a reasonable distance.

Reactions: staggerlee41
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.