need advice on creating backup of BootCamp & Drobo trouble

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Maxi86, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Maxi86, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

Maxi86 macrumors regular

Hi there all!

I've been absent for a while, but I'm back in need of some good advice.

Currently I have this setup:
    - Macintosh HD (Mac OS Extended (Journaled): 75.0 GB free of 138 GB; 63.5 GB used
    - BOOTCAMP (NTFS): 62.9 GB free of 161.3 GB; 98.4 GB used
    - Media (exFAT): 220.3 GB free of 699 GB; 479.6 GB used

For data storage I'm using a Drobo with 4 slots (2+2+2+1 = 7 TB; 6.36 TB actual), which gives me 4.51 TB of space available for data (1.85 TB is used for protection).

Anyway, I wanted to back-up my Mac on Time Machine and my BootCamp partition on a different external HDD. I've a 500GB Lacie disk.
    I want to create a partition for Time Machine (HFS), and one for BootCamp.
    But I'm not sure which program I should use for the latter...
    Is it Carbon Copy Cloner or Winclone?
    Or should I create one more partition to create a backup from within BootCamp (Windows 7)?

2. dalstott macrumors member

dalstott

Regarding BootCamp backup:

Winclone has had problems for some who use Windows 7 but seems to work well with Vista and XP.

Casper 6, Paragon Hard Drive Suite 2011, and CloneZilla have been reported to work well with Win 7. Google each of these to see more details.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The final death blow to Winclone is that it refuses to run under Lion, so I will stop recommending it myself.

All of the other ones you mention must be run from within Windows or a separate boot which (for me at least) makes them non-ideal.

Once I get Lion installed on my box I will post some instructions on using the same utilities Winclone did, but manually without the GUI.

B

4. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

lately the startup of Windows is worrying me...
    it takes much longer to get the login window or to be able to do anything after logging in than usual, I think the Drobo is the cause of all the mayhem. If I disconnect it, Windows continues like normal.
    A few weeks ago, I emptied the Drobo, and reformatted it in NTFS, and now I can see the content also on my Mac!

but because it's acting so weird lately, I wanna play it safe and have a back-up ready. any idea though what's the problem with the Drobo at startup? currently it's connected through firewire, could a switch to USB 2.0 make a difference?

5. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

anyone with similar issues with a Drobo? or this kind of startup lag in Windows & in general?