Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobasco27

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Chicagoland
OK, here's my setup;

I've got a

- MacBook Pro 15 inch bought in mid 2010.
- Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
- Running Mac OS X Lion v.10.7.4 (11E53)

My main source of storage are music, movies, videos, and misc. personal files.
But I'm max'd out on my storage.

I'm running a 2TB Time Machine as a back up.

So I guess my question is what is the best way to free up space - delete files that are already backed up on the Time Machine (which should just about be most everything, right?) and / or sign up for the iCloud and save it there too.

What's your recommendation?

Also, if I decide to add the iCloud route, how do I do that?

Thanks for the thoughts!!

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
There are somethings you should realize before you make your decision:

1. Time Machine should be used to only backup what is currently on your Mac hard drive. This means that when you delete files from your Mac your TM will eventually delete those files as well. A good way to think about the TM is that it's a cloning software and a delayed trash can. As TM's hard drive gets full it will delete your old history timelines to make room for new backup timelines that are more recent. It's not meant to be a way to store old files you no longer have on your Mac. The timeline with your old files are there in case you realized you made a mistake and deleted something you shouldn't have, but those files will not be there forever if they are not currently on your Mac hard drive.

2. iCloud only has 5 GB for free. After that you have to pay for additional storage. You might want to shop around and see if there are better price offers from other companies. I don't really use iCloud so I don't know if it only allows syncing or if allows storage of files that are not on your Mac.

I personally like to use multiple hard drives as storage backups in addition to TM. Have one as your main storage backup and then clone that one. If you want that second hard drive off site then you can bring it to work or somewhere else that is safe. Using an online service like iCloud or something else can quickly make you reach your internet bandwidth limit each month, or at least the very first month. The decision is yours though, so choose whichever is the most comfortable for you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.