Need Advice on getting a mac =)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nervebullet, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Nervebullet macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, this is my first post, but i will be a dedicated forum member from now on!

I have been checking this site everyday for the past few months and finally registered!

I have questions about the mac os but i willll post them in the right thread

so i have had an iMac since november, but only really started using it about a month ago. I love it but i want to use it in the studio only.

So im in the market for a new mac (preferably a laptop). I would probably like logic pro 7 to work on it.

So my question is....

Should I wait for October for the new models or buy one now?

I dont like the silver macbook pro, but i like its specs

Is the Black macbook good enough?

The macbook pro specs look awesome, but i really like the macbook black.

I want a mac that will run without bugging out on me real quick. I am in a rush so im writing this really quick, i might explain a few more pointers when i finish my summer class in an hour

Thanks guys!

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Logic Pro is video right? Or is it music? :eek: Either way its a Pro app and will run much better on a Pro machine. So I would go with a MacBookPro.

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

Logic Pro runs beautifully on MacBooks, I'm reliably informed.

Best think what else will you be expecting to use the laptop for and I'm sure we'll help!

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since it does not seem that logic pro takes advantage of the video card it should work great on the Macbook. Take the money you save to max out the ram and get a faster larger hard drive.

When working with time lines that 13 inch screen will get pretty cramped. Since you said you want to use it in the studio, is it your own studio or someone else's? You may want to have a large or high speed external hard drive and 20+in widescreen for it to make your work easier. If not then you may want the Macbook Pro just for the larger screen, possibly the 17inch.

5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Add in 2GB and you'll be more than fine with a Macbook :).

Maybe look at a refurbed blackbook?

6. Nervebullet thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys u are all so welcoming!!! u put a smile on my face today!!!

btw dynamyk i have a m600i sony ericsson too...i have the white one =)

ok back to my situation...

These are the specs of my iMac

2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    3 GB 667 Mhz DDr2 SDram

Im using it as my main mac for right now but im going to move it into the studio in a week or so.

This is my music studio and im going to use it with logic pro.

Now this means i need a new mac.

I would like to see what they do with the new imacs but i dont know when they are coming out so im most likely wanting to get a notebook so i can take it around with me for college and what not.

This will be my main computer so i need it to be beefed up!!

If they make new machines in October im probably going to be a little mad so should i wait?

If i wait this means that all my computer needs will have to be done at the studio (the studio is in my house so its not too big of a deal)

I really like the black macbooks, but i started to like the look of the macbookpro today

Plus it wont get dirty as easily.

So here is my question to you guys...

Is the Macbookpro 17'' bulky? and should I go with the 15''

The Macbook black looks a little too small, i dont mind that, but when i take my music and design further I probably want a good screen for logic pro (music) and photoshop.

My options from research and from your help are ....

> Use my imac in the studio + Macbook black for college

> Use my imac in the studio + Macbook with external screen (i dont want to go this path)

Overall since i dont think the imac will be updated Im going to set my imac in the studio and now need a new computer.

Are the macbookpros really more realiable then the macbooks, or am i best getting another imac for my college work. I enjoy working at a desk but id like that laptop feeling once again!!!!

So can you help me decide guys? I probably sound a little longwinded or confused, but im reaching out the mac community because you guys really all seem welcoming and i thank you guys in advance

Looking forward to making some new friends on here!!

Thanks guys!

Mo

PS: Do you guys think the new machines will be out this year when lep. is launched?

7. Nervebullet thread starter macrumors newbie

:mad: NO ANTI GLARE FOR MACBOOKS?!!!!

i cant believe that im shelling out to get a macbook pro just so i dont get a glossy screeenn

whhhhhhhhy!!!!

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well since it appears you are putting the iMac in your studio. I would stick with just the Macbook for College. I lugged an iBook around college all day for a while and could barely stand carrying that. Since you also have to carry notebooks (not the computer) and many hefty books. I couldn't imagine a full 15" screen computer. Plus when dealing with those little half top desks a 15" will fall easier:eek: .

Eventually I left the iBook behind. Computers just slow down notetaking, when the teacher is jumping all over the place and drawing diagrams. Try drawing and typing on a laptop plus integrating the two as quickly as you can on paper, while listening to the lecture, other students questions and participating simultaneously.

9. weeman macrumors 6502

I feel the same way as you :eek:

10. Nervebullet thread starter macrumors newbie

Velocity, most of my notes will be taken by paper, however i was hoping that the laptop would be a desktop replacement, so thats why i was considering a macbook pro.

If i can find a decent price on a black macbook i might get it for the time being while the new design of macbook pro comes out sometime next year

I cant make up my mind!!

I need a laptop soon so should i get a suped up macbookpro or get a macbook untill the new designs come out?