Need advice on HD/8600 issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SmoothJ, Apr 1, 2011.

  1. SmoothJ macrumors member

    Oct 19, 2010
    Now my 2008 MBP warranty is going to expire in around a month. I still have the same HD and it really hasn't had any issues. However every month or so I do a test with a program called "Smart Utility" and today it gave me a "Pending Bad Sector: 1" failure. Now I know what that means, but will a Genius go by that, or disk utilities smart status?

    Also, since I am there, should I get my board (with the 8600) replaced, or should I wait till it starts having issues? I know I have some time (4 years from purchase date), but I just worry since I have heard horror stories of someone MBP board not getting replaced cause it can't boot.
  2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

    Aug 27, 2008
    apple will not replace the logic board unless something is wrong with it. Check the pcie lane width it should be x16 if it is not the card is failing. i dont think they will replace the drive with 1 bad sector. Run a extended hardware test see if it detects a hardware problem that you might not be aware of.
  3. SmoothJ thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 19, 2010
    Well, they did the hardware test at the applestore. The 8600 is performing flawlessly without any issues. Also, the HD tested said it was OK, however after showing the genius the tech results, he and I both concluded that it would be best to replace the HD. Especially since my applecare is running out in 31 days.

    They also did a slight upgrade for the HD as well. So instead of 200GB, its 250GB. Not much, but I'm not complaining.

    On another note, I am debating on selling this MBP and getting a new one. Granted this does perform pretty well, but it is ~4 generations out of date. Plus it looks like I can get some money from sell your mac, or even apple's recycling program.

    What does everyone think?
  4. SmoothJ thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 19, 2010
    Well, a bit of good and bad news. The bad, is that I have to wait only God knows how long to get my MBP back since the part has to be ordered. There is not a time-frame according to the Apple store other than "soon." The good news is that instead of getting a 200GB or even a 250GB, I am getting a 320 :)

    I called to ask them about the drive to make sure it was 7200RPM since the 200GB was, however it was not and they said they have to order another drive - a 320GB. I am not complaining :)

    ...I just wish it would get done faster. Being without a laptop is driving me nuts since I use it every day.

    On another note, every time I stop by the store I see all the new MBPs. I have to resist :p

Share This Page