need advice on HD & RAM upgrades

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rassoodock, Dec 22, 2008.

1. rassoodock macrumors member

I have a G5 Dual 2.5 GHz Power PC with the original 160GB internal drive and 1.5GB of DDR SDRAM.

I'm looking to add a second Serial-ATA internal drive with a LOT of space. I've seen capacities up to 1.5TB. That sounds great, but my most important criteria is reliability and a track record of quality. Can anybody suggest a drive that would be ideal or, perhaps, a site that offers good advice?

Also, can anybody suggest a good place to get DDR SDRAM memory at a good price? I have 4 slots I can fill. Is there a manufacturer who has better memory than others? I've never upgraded before, so any help most appreciated.

Thanks!
    Michael

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this page:

If you have questions that these sources doesn't cover, you can check to see if it has been answered in another thread by doing a Google search of the forums. I hope this helps!

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I would suggest apple RAM only. Like their other products, apple's ram is of higher quality, and is simply better. and they "just work"

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is absolutely untrue. First of all, Apple doesn't make RAM. They buy it from 3rd party vendors like Samsung, Hynix and Micron. Apple RAM is of no higher quality than RAM from a reputable dealer like OWC or Newegg. OWC RAM, like so many others, has a lifetime warranty on it. Apple RAM is very much overpriced and has no benefit over 3rd party providers.

5. rassoodock thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info on RAM. I think I'm well sorted on that count.

Any suggestions regarding adding a large capacity 2nd internal drive? I'm looking to add a second Serial-ATA internal drive with a LOT of space. I've seen capacities up to 1.5TB. That sounds great, but my most important criteria is reliability and a track record of quality. Can anybody suggest a drive that would be ideal or, perhaps, a site that offers good advice?

Thanks,
    Michael