Need advice on hd replacement for older 2006 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rpk73, Mar 30, 2011.

1. rpk73 macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I have a 15" 1.83mhz MBP core duo circa 2006 which finally died. I took it to the Apple store and was kindly told that my hard drive is dead. I'd prefer at this time to just replace/upgrade my hd than purchase a new computer. My questions are the following:

1) What's the best, reliable kind/brand of hard drive I can get for around $200 or so? Id like to improve the overall speed of my computer while I'm at it. Given the cost constraint, I'd b ok with one as low as an 80gig.
    2) Is there an ssd drive that's worth getting for my model? I imagine the benefit/gain of having an ssd with my SATA I bus would be all that value added. Am I wrong?

Thx a bunch!

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

Try a Hitachi 500 GB 7,200 rpm drive, about 80-90 bucks, maybe cheaper. Low vibration, quiet and fast. SSDs are still expensive and with that older machine it may not be necessary.

3. mdgm macrumors 6502a

I would go with the SSD. It's random read/write speed performance is far better than a 7200RPM HDD.

4. rpk73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank mdgm and davidly.

Any recommendation as to which brand/model of SSD I could get that's compatible with my older MBP?

I tried searching for one but couldn't seem to find anything that I was confident would work on my machine.

5. euphoria47 macrumors member

6. rpk73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks euphoria47. I just posted a reply on another thread asking for advice from someone with an older MBP similar to mine. I think I'll take your advice and go with 7200rpm HD, Hitachi per davidlv.

7. golgo1313 macrumors regular

i believe the older mbp can only handle 9.5 mm drives. the 1tb drives right now are 12.5mm drives, so those will not physically fit. basically, you can't go wrong with 500gb 7200rpm hitachi. just read the specs and make sure that it's 9.5mm in height.

8. rpk73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. I ended up ordering the following hd:
    Western Digital Scorpio 2.5-Inch 500 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive WD5000BEKT (Black)

It had very good reviews on amazon, some saying this one is better than the comparable Hitachi? I don't know one way or the other but that's what I got for about $70. Thanks everyone for helping me out. I think I learned a good bit from u guys.

Cheers
    RPK

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

The WD are supposed to be good. I had a Hitachi in my early 08" MBP and it worked perfectly for over a year (Apple replaced my MBP).

Just follow the ifixit.com guide on how to replace the HDD and you will be A-OK. You upgrade the RAM? That may benefit you as well.

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

if you are happy with 80gb and want speed then an ssd is perfect for you.

some have computability issues so watch out but e x25m is problem free.