Need advice on helping Mom off of Verizon...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sonictonic, Jun 10, 2010.

1. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

So the day has finally come that my non-techy Mom wants the new iPhone. Which I think is super cool.

Here is the situation:
    She is on a family plan with Verizon along with my two sisters. My sisters line are still on a 2 year contract, but my Mom's line is not. Verizon has been practically begging my Mom to get a new phone (they obviously want another 2 years from her) but she has resisted.

She went into Verizon and was told that she can't remove her line from the account, because the other two lines are still under contract.

Say WHAT?! Is this even legal? Her line is NOT under contract and they admit it, so how on Earth can they say she is stuck due to the two numbers that are under contract? I'm baffled at this.

What is the best way to handle this... Do I go with my Mom to AT&T and give AT&T my Mom's number to have it ported [behind Verizon's back]? Can we do that? How can I get Verizon to let this number on the account go? Or if my Mom wants a brand new number, how do I get Verizon to take it off her family account with them?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I would resolve my issue with Verizon prior to porting the number to AT&T. My suggestion would be to ask Verizon rep how much is the ETF (if any) to cancel the line. The response should answer your question if your mom's line is still under contract with Verizon.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is probably because she is the primary account holder. At least that is how it works for at&t. I am the primary account holder for my family plan. I cannot cancel my line or port my number while my wife and daughter are still on the family plan.

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

What he said. You're not paying full price for the secondary phones on the account therefore the main account has to stay for as long as you have a contract on the secondary phones. See how much it'll cost for the ETF.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

See if they can switch which line is the primary.

6. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

This sounds like good advice. Is it likely?

We'll give that a shot. Thank you!

7. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

exactly, just go to verizon and make one of the other numbers the primary account holder. then ur mom can port her number over to at&t whenever she wants

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

AT&T does it. Never tried on VZW

9. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I'm the primary account holder with Verizon and I have switched before to At&t without even letting Verizon know. My husband's line was still with Verizon and I had no problems. I plan on doing the same thing again - leaving Verizon for At&t.

10. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

You can infact port the number out. I called Verizon yesterday about this and they said I could. They also said I could go ahead now and make one of the other numbers on the account the primary number.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    First off, everyone should register with their carrier's website. You can usually change features, plans, and check usage.

As for Verizon, you used to be able to go online and switch which one was the primary line. I used to do it all the time.

Then their website got redesigned recently and I think you have to call to do it. Should be no problem, especially if she hasn't gotten a new phone lately.