need advice on ibookG4 vs macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fupuppy, Jan 4, 2011.

1. fupuppy macrumors newbie

2 yrs ago I purchased a refurbished ibook G4. The price was right and I was told it would meet my needs of working on a website, blogging etc.
    I used it ALOT and took it everywhere.
    Recently I switched to using weebly for my website and firefox wouldnt show the site. The guys at the hosting plan said weebly is mac friendly and that it had to be my computer. (I can use Safari OK to play with weebly.) On top of that, the battery would no longer charge and I could no longer watch youtube and hulu because the audio and picture would go quickly out of synch. They never used to..
    So I took my computer to a local authorized apple refurbisher and repair place. They seemed nice enough and had good reviews on the internet.
    I was told my computer was just old, did not have an intel processor and there was little to be done. A new battery would cost $130 bucks, and the charge for looking at the computer and the advice- $50.
    So I asked if an upgrade would solve my problems with weebly and hulu. They said yes, if I upgraded to a macbook I'd be amazed and REALLY happy. They went on and on about hulu and netflix- altho those werent at the top of my concern list. They let me trade in my G4 for a used macbook (1 GB 667 mhz 1.83 MHz intel core duo) and I paid $300.
    But now I am feeling a little sick. This macbook is not quite worth $300 it seems to me. yes, hulu and youtube are now working fine, but I could have lived without that. And the firefox on this computer still wont work with weebly!!
    So .... How exactly is this an upgrade?
    Ok the screen is bigger- but I actually dont like it. It's too big and too bright- even tho I have really dimmed it. I like the smaller size of my G4. Plus the G4 felt sturdier. This thing is thin and big and feels flimsy.
    I am no computer wiz, so I am not sure if I was just deceived or if this machine really is a good deal. The battery I just found out isnt even new- altho at least it charges up ok. Do you think this machine will live longer than my G4?
    What do you guys think? Should I try to get my little G4 and my money back? Or do you think this computer will last me several years and is a good deal? I just dont understand what exactly I paid $300 for- my G4 could essentially do everything this thing does- or so it seems. This macbook is not amazing me... any words of wisdom??? help!

2. tsmacman macrumors member

i have experience with this and i upgraded my old g4 to a macbook and it will outlive your g4 two fold... oh and the fire fox problem has nothin to do with the computer but the firefox program

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Keep the Macbook - it's a couple of generations newer than the G4. The G4 was the last of the old PowerPC line which Apple dropped support for when OS X 10.6 launched. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a PowerPC machine for daily use with Internet apps nowadays.

As to the weebly problems - I've never used them so can't really advise. Probably a Firefox profile issue. Have you tried using Safari instead?