Need advice on iPhone 3GS LCD problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sickb0y, Feb 21, 2010.

1. sickb0y macrumors newbie

I'm hoping someone can help me here.
    Here's what happen my girlfriend decided to take out her sim card out of her iPhone 3GS (she's switching to T-Mobile and wanted to sell the iPhone). Not sure what in the world she did but my guess she punch the paper clip a bit to hard and it looks like she damage the inside of the iPhone. Can anybody tell me what got damage? the glass screen is fine and the touchscreen seems to work (I can unlock the phone etc) iTunes picks up the phone fine as well. The phone is still under warranty I talk to Apple over the phone they said to just bring to a local Apple store. If Apple decides not to fix it, anybody know what I need to fix it (is it the LCD screen that is broken or what?)
    Thank you

[​IMG]

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just bring it to Apple and tell them you don't know what happened.

3. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

for good measure make sure you put the sim card back in there before you go to apple

4. sickb0y thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, yeah the AT&T sim card is still inside. I been testing the screen (even the dark circle area on the top left of the phone) and taking pictures while holding the Home button and Sleep/Wake (On/Off) . Touch seems to work fine I can see which applications open up etc after hooking the phone up to iTunes. Just hope Apple fixes it :(

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

hmm you might have to pay 199 since apple doesn't warranty accidental damage

what happened is your GF pressed too hard on the glass/screen and cracked the LCD underneath

i've seen this happen on a couple other iphones

good luck if you can get it replaced for free, but don't come back and complain if it ends up costing $199

6. sickb0y thread starter macrumors newbie

Not at all I'm hoping they fix it, would it be possible just to fix the LCD like u mention (me sending it to get it fix i seen tons of sites where they do it)? I can probably do it myself but honestly rather pay someone to do it and get it over it with.

7. OfficeLinebacke macrumors member

The LCD is damaged. This is a fairly straightforward repair. It should be less than $100 and can be done while you wait at a local store if you live in or near a large city.

You're lucky, this repair is easier than a cracked glass.