Need Advice on iPhone 5C Value

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by siroht, Jan 17, 2014.

1. siroht macrumors member

I have the opportunity to buy a White iPhone 5C 16GB AT&T version for $350, or evenly trade out my Space Grey iPad Mini Retina (16Gb Wifi) for the iPhone. Keep in mind I only paid $352 total for rMini after discounts and promotions were applied.

First, is the value of a 2 day old iPhone 5C equivalent to $350? The guy said he purchased it 2 days ago and was gifted a 5S today and would like to really trade it for the rMini, but will take $350. Has receipts for proof and has provided serial number which indicates warranty is valid until 1/17/2015.

I'm familiar with both product's retail prices, with the iPhone 5C obviously trumping the rMini 16GB Wifi. It appears that the iPhone 5C just don't have the appeal some thought it would, hence depreciating it's resale value.

I'm in a tough situation because now my wife all of a sudden wants to jump back to the iPhone after a 2 year experience with Android, however I would like to get the best deal possible.

Any insightful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Go to eBay and your local Craigslist and compare the current going resale values.

3. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

The 5C isn't worth it. You can already find them dirt cheap. Not a good investment.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a used 5C. They're not holding value as well as other iPhones traditionally have. Only unlocked ones are worth over $300 used right now.

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I disagree with the above assessments.
    What is keeping the prices somewhat depressed is the trust factor in finding an iPhone5C that isn't iCloud locked.

For some reason more owners are dumping their carrier contracts with the 5C vs the 5S.

Find a 5C that comes with the box (less likely it is stolen) and can be confirmed activated on your account and the price stabilizes significantly.

With that stated, your trade favors the other party slightly so it all boils down to your needs.

Interestingly, there has only been one (possibly two) 5C's offered over the sell forum in the same period of time over 20 of the 5S's were offered. The 5c's sold rapidly and at full or near full asking price.

6. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I completely agree with this. Most of the other responses are untrue. Most devices running iOS 7 are tough to sell. The reason being is the activation lock. On my local Craigslist the 5c's are reselling for around $400.

IMO, it's definitely worth $350 or more