Need advice on Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iLucas, Apr 23, 2011.

1. iLucas macrumors 6502

I have a friend that is offering to sell me his Early 2008 MacBook 2.4Ghz 4GB ram 320 gb for $650. He is also including the original 160GB drive that came with the machine. I will most likely be able to talk him down in price, but not a ton more. Maybe $575? The problem is I currently already have a MacBook close in specs to his that I use as a main computer while not at home and I love it. Mine has .2 Ghz slower processor and is the Late 07 model.
    What should i do?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you've already got a similar machine, I don't really see a point in buying that one.

3. iLucas thread starter macrumors 6502

I told the guy that but hes insists i do lol

I told him if he could trade that macbook for something like a first gen macbook air i'd buy that, but he won't agree.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Unless you owe him a pretty big favor, I'd insist on passing. You already have one, would you really use another, and what could that $600 be better spent on?

5. iLucas thread starter macrumors 6502

I owe him no favors, he's just a kid at my school. I wouldn't use this other one, as i have many other macs already

that $600 could be used for college bills, and many other things. food/gas/other bills.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think that's the answer to your question.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You should definitely pass on that. I did a similar buy but I was coming from a windows netbook so it was very much justified. I got my blackbook: 2.2, 4gb, 320hdd, 10.6.7 for about 560 I think and was very pleased with what I have now; amazing machine. I wouldn't think about buying another computer unless it was a brand new one and had much higher specs than the one I have now. Even then I would be hesitant because this computer does everything I need it to do (1080p video without hickup explains it all (concerning power)) and everything under that. The 4gb of ram allows for heavy multitasking (which I love when I have 3 spaces devoted to school work and another three for entertainment/relaxation).

Stick with what you have and wait for the next "major" refresh to come out. I personally wouldn't give up my system for a few years or so, at least until I actually feel that I need something faster or the hardware/battery life gets exponentially better.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... a MacBook bully ... tell him to try craigslist

9. iLucas thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with this. At this point in time i really do not feel that his .2Ghz faster processor is going to do anything for me. I don't even think i will notice the difference.

@Apple OC: Already told him to go to craigslist. He still persists i should buy it and i continue to tell him no. I have now gotten to where i ignore his texts.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Good to hear. Of course when i got mine I looked around instantly and tried to compare my system with others to get an overall feel of how fast it is, however, at the end of the day, for the first time, i actually feel comfortable with keeping a computer for many years to come. The speed is where I want it to be, there are "endless" customizations and applications that I can get to improve my efficiency, and the aesthetics of the computer are the best I have ever seen. (love the black matte finish)

All in all, if you read around here you'll see numerous posts about people still using their G4's and Apple computers from back in the early 2000s which gives credit to the reliability and strength of these systems and the OS they run on.

I'm looking forward to using my computer a year from now and still saying how great it is to use a "new" computer.

11. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

12. iLucas thread starter macrumors 6502

I decided today that it was not for me. The upgrade was much to small for money. ;)