Need advice on maximizing applications in a small SSD space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Niiro13, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

So, I need a new SSD for my late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro cause apparently the G.skill Titan epic fails working with the unibodies *sadness*.

The Titan I have is a 256GB SSD. Like most people, I've been looking at OCZ (which some say is the best and their performance doesn't drop too much which I didn't think was possible until trim) or the Intel one (anandtech's very thorough article recommends it, and so do many).

Unfortunately, the Intel SSD only has 160GB (though much easier on the wallet than the 250GB Vertex).

Add to that, I'm a video and audio editor as well as gamer >_< and here I've heard of people happy with 80GB and less!

If I were to get the Intel, this would be the first time I'd have to split files. For example, Final Cut Studio takes up 50 GB, but I've read that 47 of those GB you can move onto an external hard drive.

How else would I go about splitting and basically cramming Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, Adobe Production Premium, Windows 7 (by the time I get the SSD, it would have already released), iLife '09, and a whole slew of high space games such as Neverwinter Nights 2 and both expansions, Oblivion, Spore, Fallout 3, CS:S, and DoD:S with an ample amount of room?

Or would I have to switch out games and have them in one at a time?

Or would I just have to pay 75% more and get the 250GB?

Thanks!

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not sure of your computer type but did you ever think of an optibay alternative?

SSD plus another fast HDD w. lots of storage in the same unit.

3. kai920 macrumors member

4. Niiro13 thread starter macrumors 68000

I use the optical drive a lot, so I couldn't take it out, but I was planning on having a second external hard drive where I'd move stuff like the Final Cut content. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's enough. I don't plan on storing data on the SSD, but the applications I use take up a lot of space.

I was wondering whether it was possible to fit that amount of applications that I listed in a 160 GB SSD or if I'd have to use a 250 GB one.

Unfortunately, last I checked, I'd have to get the OCZ Vertex Turbo in order to match the x25's speed. Then again, I don't want it to be like my G.skill now, unable to sleep cause the computer will not wake back up, or unable to detect in the Mac OS X Install Disk Utility and have to install via external enclosure, or CS:S crashing and locking up the comp, etc.

Yeah, I've used it a few times :) Good program. Unfortunately, I think the majority of space used will probably be on the Windows side as opposed to the Mac's side (and I'm not real comfortable stripping applications like Final Cut or Logic)

5. bware189 macrumors member

You should also consider that you will have 2 operating systems on one SSD. W7 isn't 0GB of space, doncha know. Really though, with any SSD, or any storage drive for that matter, you shouldn't fill it to the brim. It seems especially true with SSDs, so go with the larger size. You betcha.

6. Niiro13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, that was my concern.

Got the 250GB OCZ. Hopefully the degradation in performance over time doesn't put me down too much >_<. Good thing that unlike my ancient gskill, this drive supports TRIM.

Thanks everyone for the answers! :]