Need advice on MBA 13" for software development and Lightroom

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by halccw, Feb 7, 2014.

1. halccw macrumors newbie

I once had a plastic white Macbook 6 years ago, but it was stolen... Impressed by the qualities of Apple notebooks and the Macintosh OS, now I have saved some money and would love to own a Macbook again ;)

The Macbook will be my only computer. It's mainly used for software development, running Windows/Linux virtual machine, editing photos in Adobe Lightroom, and watching blu-ray format movies. No gaming or Photoshop.

In terms of budget, my first choice is Macbook Air 13" with i5-CPU, 8G-RAM and 128G-SSD. However I have some concerns. How much space is left besides OSX, VMware, and Windows 7(64b)? How does MBA perform when running a parallel Windows or Adobe Lightroom?

Thanks for your advice.

2. Weehira macrumors newbie

Space left

Well all depends of how much space you set the VM's to use and Lightroom catalogs can be rather big if you use smartpreviews.
    I'm on a 13" MBA i7 8GB 256GB SSD and have around 180GB left after lightroom/photoshop and other software, Vm's ( Win 7 and mint)
    A simple thing to do is having the Vm's on a external drive, you won't feel any speed issues een from USB2
    The only thing is I woud go after the i7 cpu instead og i5