Need Advice On MBP: Purchase or Wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cthulhunanny, Jul 29, 2008.

  1. cthulhunanny macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    #1
    So I have been reading this site for a while now, but never saw a need to get entrenched in the forums until now. I am a 4th year computer engineering student looking for a new laptop that will last until the end of graduate school. I originally intended to buy the MBP when it updated in February, however the abysmally minor update (especially with regards to the case) left me wanting more. I read a lot of news about a refresh in June that would update the case and the processor, so I decided to wait.

    I have a fair amount of knowledge of computers both from an engineering and programming standpoint and as a consumer, but honestly I am stumped with this one. I needed this computer a while ago, but as I wanted it to last, and be stable, for 4-5 years at a relatively high performance level I waited for the update that never came. So here I am at the end of June, with no MBP, waiting for what seems like forever for what is now likely to be a Rev A product on the inside (the speculated surprise non-intel board under the hood of the new laptops). This is exactly the situation I wanted to avoid.

    I wish I had bought it in Feb and saved myself the hastle. But now I need to consult a higher power...macrumors. Any advice/reassurrances about the matter.
     
  2. motownflip macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #2
    Just buy it. When the new one comes out, there will be a new one after that. I'm sure you know this already. Just do it!
     
  3. peterdevries macrumors 68040

    peterdevries

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2008
    Location:
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    #3
    If you need it, buy it.

    I bought my MBP in januari, a few weeks before the upgrade, and frankly I haven't missed the multitouch trackpad for one second. In addition the new MBP is only a few % faster. Nothing that I will EVER notice.

    You will not get a confirmation form anyone here or at Apple for that matter that waiting a few more days, weeks or months is sensible. Consider the efficiency and time you lost waiting for the MBP from january until now. Has that been worth it?

    I would buy now and if a new one comes out with great new feutures etc., sell the old one on Ebay. These things have great resale value.
     
  4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

    soberbrain

    Joined:
    May 9, 2008
    #4
    If you need a new laptop and the current one can handle your needs, then buy it.

    I'm not sure why you waited for a new case, but at the same time did not want a Rev A, whether it is outside or inside.

    Also, it's July / almost August ;)
     
  5. dchen720 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #5
    wait or not

    the new macbook is coming in 6-9 weeks.
    the news is on google.

    and, new macbooks are not going to use intel chips.
     
  6. peterdevries macrumors 68040

    peterdevries

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2008
    Location:
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    #6
    Those are all just rumors. Just because it is on google, doesn't mean that it is so.

    In addition, even IF the rumor about the alternative chipset is true, this doesn't mean the new chipset will appear in the next revision of the MBP. Also, there will be intel chips in the computer anyway. Apple will not exchange the intel processor for another one. This rumor just concerns other chips on the motherboard.
     
  7. dabills80 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    #7
    I've been waiting way too long. If the new macbooks dont come out next tuesday, I'm going to buy one.
     
  8. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

    bobbleheadbob

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #8
    I think this is really solid advice. If you need it and/or want it now, then you should get it. You can wait forever for an update, all the while not knowing exactly what the update may bring! It's really just speculation at this point. Check out what's available on the Apple Refurb Store and maybe you can save a few $$ as well.

    I got a new 17" MBP in March b/c I wanted a bigger, hi-res screen. I couldn't be happier (well, I guess I could, but that has nothing to do with the MBP.....). :rolleyes:
     
  9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #9
    Buy only if its an absolute necessity (which doesnt include cravings, excitement, emotions, impatience or nervous breakdowns)!
     
  10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #10
    Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

    Actually read the news that you tout so much.
     
  11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #11
    First and foremost... its a rumor

    If you actually mean a chip (as in north/southbridge) and not a processor, you're right in your 'assumption'

    If you think that a chip is same as a processor... MR has highlighted the details for you in bold
     
  12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

    SchneiderMan

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Location:
    Apple state
    #12
    for once your right :D
     
  13. DaveF macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Location:
    NoVA
    #13
    Unless you know just what you need, I suggest waiting until you get there. It's certainly convenient to have the computer ready to go with the start of school -- you'll probably be very busy. But it's also possible to find your actual computer needs are wholly different than what you expected and purchased.

    My first two years of grad school I only used my personal computer for games and personal finance. Classwork homework was all pencil and paper (theoretical); any computer work was done on department computers with University software that I didn't own.

    Also, your computer needs may escalate as you go along, and buying early might be a disadvantage when you really need the computer power in three years when you're doing all your numerical simulations, data analysis, and thesis writing.

    If you need something now, buy what you need now. If possible, consult with a student rep in your grad school department and see what 1st years realistically need. And hopefully, don't buy high-end. Start saving for a new computer half-way through your work when you may need a boost in power for thesis work.
     
  14. peterdevries macrumors 68040

    peterdevries

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2008
    Location:
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    #14
    Current MBP's can easily handle all university grade numerical simulations, easily data analysis and definitely thesis writing. And will be powerful enough to handle these things for some years to come.

    If you need dedicated computing power for protein folding, mathematical computations, you would switch to university computers running dedicated software, mostly in different OS's than OS X.
     
  15. DaveF macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Location:
    NoVA
    #15
    Yes, but if you don't need the power this year, but do need it in three years, it's not optimal to buy now. You'll really want the latest and greatest later.

    Been there, done that.

    And perhaps your research group / thesis advisor will buy you a research computer when it's needed. That would alleviate the current issue and also mean you don't necessarily need a hotrod computer for home. Except that many grad students do a lot of work from home.

    My experience is that you should assume you'll want a new computer, mid-range computer halfway through your graduate career. If you can get buy without something new immediately, it could work out better overall.
     
  16. cthulhunanny thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    #16
    Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it. Its pretty awesome to get this feedback from you grad students as well.

    My current laptop is almost unusably slow (and it cant run windows programs). What I really need is to get a relatively fast computer that can link up with xp/vista, linux/unix and will stay usable for at least 4 years, it needs to have a discrete graphics card, and lots of ram. I think I am going to end up getting one now, since I am hoping that I should be able to actually write my thesis on anything with a WP.

    Thanks again!

    Also, for the person who wanted to know why I prefer case Rev A over internal Rev A, its merely my personal tolerance regarding errors in computer architecture (of which I know a pretty good amount) versus errors in industrial case design (which is something I appreciate but have not extensively studied.) Either way I am getting applecare :)
     
  17. DaveF macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Location:
    NoVA
    #17
    If you need a computer, then you should buy one :) That's always the rule. A MBP will keep you in good stead for 3-5 years. If you find yourself doing analysis on it in a few years and it's not fast enough, you'll just buy a new one. Not a big deal.

    On the thesis: I wrote mine in MS Word '97. My roommate did his in LaTeX. Either one requires only modest computer power.

    If you plan to stay in academia, learn LaTeX early. My brain was too ossified to pick it up when I did my thesis :)
     
  18. jroller macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #18
    Well, then go ahead and buy; there will not be an update by Tuesday.

    That said, if you can wait, do.

    All in all, I agree with what peterdevries said. Buy when you need or want to. There will always be something new around the corner. But, I have to say, it sure does feel better to buy right after an upgrade than right before.
     
  19. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #19
    If you need it now then buy it now if not wait, same old reply
     

Share This Page