Need advice on MBP purchase!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CWSounds, Jul 14, 2016.

1. CWSounds macrumors newbie

Okay so I'm wanting to buy a MacBook Pro now (I know new ones are coming out in the fall) and I'd like to know where I am gong to get the most bang for my buck. I'll be using it for music production but nothing too intensive. It doesn't have to have a retina screen but I'm trying to figure out how much better the retinas are over the non retina models. I'm absolutely capable of replacing ram, battery and putting a new ssd in or replacing the smaller flash hd with a bigger one. I found a used mid 2012 15" 2.6 quad core with a glossy screen for $900... Is that the best I'll get for the price? Is it worth the extra money for a retina at my price range? (My max is 1500 when its all said and done)

Thanks in advance!

2. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

IMHO, $900 is too much for that machine. I wouldn't pay more than $700 for it.

You should check eBay for sold prices on similar machines.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

$900 for that mid 2012 seems like a lot to me. I'd keep looking.

It sounds like you know what your needs are. I'd base my buying decision on meeting those needs. Don't need retina? Go with an older non-retina model.

Do you need a 15" screen? You could probably pick up a nicely equipped 13" rMBP for $1500. Maybe even a current model refurb if you don't need the 1TB SSD.