Need advice on my current macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jc0481, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

Hello -

I purchased my macbook laptop around Thanskgiving of 2006. I have a 2.0 ghz core2duo processor with 2 gigs of ram. I thought it would be adequate for my needs at the time but I was wrong. I would like to have the imac in its place. What would be the best thing to do with it and get a imac in its place?

Should I try ebay but I was looking at my similar machine on ebay with an hour left to go and it was bidding for $700.00. Not enough to cover a refurbished imac. I am looking for either the 17 inch or 20 inch imac. I prefer the 20inch. I originally purchased this laptop from a local mac retailer by the way. Are their any retailers that can swap it out somehow. I think I have heard of one doing that a while back. I would like to sell it and get a good profit to get a refurbished imac and I could cover any gaps. Should I try craigslist as a better place than ebay? Not sure what to do. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

2. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

Depending on where you live you may be able to get a better price on Craigslist. Might as well give it a shot since it's free.

I hate ebay and paypal with all the fees, but you can usually get a decent market price with selling apple products.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The prices of sought after items on eBay change a lot in the last few minutes of the auction. You could get very lucky on eBay but the fees are a bit annoying. You could always try the MacRumors Marketplace.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

To get a price estimate, look at the completed sales on eBay (this is an advanced search feature).

You can also post the macbook in the classified section of this forum to get pricing ideas.

5. Thunderpuppy macrumors newbie

Place an ad

I agree with Spacecadet. Try Craigslist first and see what your response is to your "free" ad. If you live in an apartment post an ad on the apartment bulletin board or talk it up with your friends. I sold my macbook the sameway but make sure you know what you wish to sell it for and be prepared to haggle because whoever approaches you is surely going to haggle.