Need advice on my next MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rellimie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. rellimie macrumors member

Okay, so in July I am due to have my MacBook Pro replaced. On my desk at work I am currently running a MacBook Pro 15" and on a laptop stand and a 24" LED Cinema Display.

I am really struggling if I want a between a 15" and a 17" laptop. This is my 4th 15" MacBook and I know the safe way for me to go is another 15" MacBook Pro. But I use my laptop with the 24" screen as a dual display and I think it would be great to have a larger laptop screen. Also when working in the field it would be nice to have the bigger screen.

My concerns are carrying it around and going on trips with it.

So my question to those who have had, or have one.. specially to those who went from a 15 to a 17; is it a real pain? Does it get in the way? Too bulky? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

17" is waaayyy too bulky to be moving around, if it sits on the desk then you may as well....

but you have the 24" ready to go, so my actual vote is for the 15" :D

3. rellimie thread starter macrumors member

Remember I use the laptop screen as a second display. But that is what I wanted to know, if you you thought it was too bulky.

One other option I was thinking about was a 17" MBP and a MacBook Air. The only question I have about that is files. We all were given MobileMe accounts but I never use mine since I just traveled with my 15" all the time and backed up to an external HD. Does the file syncing on MobileMe work well? Would I be able to keep the files synced properly between my two computers using this?

4. toffa813 macrumors regular

Something I just found out about yesterday on here is DropBox, it keeps a folder on your computers and they always stay synced, and there is an iPhone app for it. I've only used it for one file so far so I can't really say how good it is, but I've heard great things.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTc3NzYwMTc5
    (^My referral link, use it! I get more storage!)

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea i would consider it too bulky for me personally. but given the correct back pack im sure it would be ok (only ok) to carry around

they do sync rather well, you just have to ensure that the modification dates were the correct ones so that you arent changing anything that might not be re-synced :(

yea apparently that works rather well. i just set mine up the other day - am waiting for my iPad to be delivered so i can test it out :D

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

One thing you might not like... both the 24" display and the 17" MBP have resolutions of 1920x1200. If you use them in dual screen mode, the difference in pixel density can get a bit annoying. They both hold the exact same amount of info, but one display is 7" larger than the other.

7. apple.gr macrumors regular

Get the 15 inch with high resolution screen. it's very very good!!! With HiRes you have more screen - estate if you use it outside and it's not too bulky!

8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

+1

9. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I personally went from always having 15's to a 17" and I can't tell a bit of difference. Either I'm real tolerant or those claiming it's "waaaaay too bulky" are frail like a little girl. :D