Need advice on new camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Patriks7, May 16, 2009.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

(I bet the topic seems familiar to those who look at the photography section :p)
    So I am in the looks for a new HD camcorder. At home we currently have one that is I think 10 or so years old and it is getting very inconvenient with the tape and now with all the HD stuff I wanna move up.
    So I narrowed it down to practically 2 camcorders that seem to be very good for their price, but I have not been able to find the differences. These two are the Canon Vixia HF100 and HF200. Price wise it's about 100 Euro, which is not a big deal. I read somewhere that the quality is worse on the HF200, but I am wanting to go more towards the HF200 due to its color (all Canon accessories come in black, and look a bit weird when they are on a silver camcorder).
    So if anyone with experiences could provide some info about what the differences are. Also, if you guys have suggestions for other HD camcorders with SD-cards, I will be happy to consider them.

2. Slovak macrumors regular

3. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yeah I also researched a bit on that site. After reading reviews on the HF10 and HF20 (which are practically same as HF100 and HF200) I have the feeling that the new HF20/200 is worse than the older generation. I'll go check more reviews later to see if it really is like that.

BTW, just wondering, are you Slovak, like your name suggests? :p

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Be sure that you can live with the AVCHD compression artifacts. Unlike your Mini DV camara AVCHD is highly compressed. (Mini DV does not use any intra-frame compression.) Also all those pixles are on a very small sensor so you might not have the low light abilty you are used to with your current camera. All those extra pixels came with a price -- you trade one thing for another.

About the 200 vs. 100. The trend with consummer level cameras is to make the CCD sensor smaller in each new model. This lets them keep the price down but is not helpfull with low light shooting. I think this is why some people like the older model. Look at the sensor size. It should be one of the most important specs you consider when buying a camera.

5. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yes, I read about the compression, and I think that AVCHD on a PC is much better than low quality video on those small tapes which you need a special VCR for.
    Thanks about the clarification with the sensor size. I think I might now be set to go with the older model, as I don't need the small extras of the newer model.

6. Slovak macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, the HF10/20 has some built in memory, while the HF100/200 doesn't. Considering the prices of fast SD cards these days, I'd say there is no particular benefit to have it built into the camera (might be a drawback depending on your transfer workflow).

Yes, I am from Bratislava. Born and raised, now living in Texas. :) You?

7. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yeah SD cards are getting cheaper and cheaper all the time, so it might be better to go for the HF100. I just have to convince myself that the silver looks better than the black :p

I was also born in Bratislava. Since I was like 5 I've been going to a school in Vienna, and will be going to university in Vienna as well. Fortunately, I get to go to Bratislava almost every weekend (well, it is getting annoying to sit in the car for so long :p) Well nice to see more people here from our lovely country!