Need advice on playback and value for 11.6 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by apatel87, Mar 31, 2011.

1. apatel87 macrumors regular

Hi guys, I have a quick question. I have always used MBPs as my primary computer but as a student I find that I do not use many CPU intensive operations. Probably the most CPU intense programs I use are Unrarx and Plex. With that in mind, I often like to connect my MBP to my tv and run plex as my media server. My movies are all on a NAS and tend to be 1080p rips, usually 5-6gbs in size.
    I understand that Plex uses the GPU for the decoding so would this MBA be okay to use for the occasional TV playback or is too weak.
    Secondly, the reason that this is even a question is because my cousin got a MBA 11.6 with the 1.4, 128SSD config but is out of the 30 day return window from Amazon. he said he could give it to me for $850. It is brand new and sealed.

Good deal?
    Would it be able to do what i want it to? Thanks a lot! I have an external monitor that I would use when not on the go. Thanks.

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    It's a heck of a deal, a refurb is $1018, so that price is awesome.I believe it will do what you need