Need advice on possible future Macbook Pro - Hardware Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The SpinDoctor, Dec 28, 2008.

1. The SpinDoctor macrumors regular

Hi guys (and gals),

I am a Windows User considering on making the switch to Mac's before I go to uni.

I would start Uni in September 2010 and and considering getting a MBP in October 2009.

However, considering I will be spending everything that I will have saved from now till then, I have a few questions.

1. What are the chances of Apple putting the new Core i7's in the MBP's, or considering that they haven't been released yet - just earmarked for for roughly that time next year. - (answered well; comments and advice still welcome)

2. If I get the (compulsory) DVI adaptor, can I use my DVI-VGA adaptor and use that for a VGA input TV?

3. Which of the following would it be wiser to get:
    1TB NAS unit.
    1TB Time Capsule
    1TB USB2 HDD
    1TB Firewire HDD

considering I have roughly £150 to spend on it.

4. How does the Apple care bought off eBay work?
    Could I buy the MBP, and say 6 months later, purchase Applecare off eBay and the assign to my laptop?
    Why is it cheaper off eBay?

Thanks in advance

A Potential Mac switcher

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. 0%. There will be no mobile Nehalem chips even by October yet.
    3. Don't buy any of those until you buy your computer. HDD prices will drop phenomenally by October.
    4. In the same way as AppleCare bought from Apple.

3. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure while I was in a supermarket I read in a magazine that they were coming out next year.................

What if I bought in the next update (I.E. March/April 2010)?

Would the chips be ready by then?

4. Cory5412 macrumors member

1. It's likely that there'll be a nehalem-based MacBook/Pro in late 2009, a few months after the chips start shipping, and the rest of the vendors update their product lines to include that chip/chipset.

2. I believe the adapter is specifically for DVI-D, not for DVI-I which would also carry VGA signals, so I believe you will need to order both adapters. It won't hurt anything to try with the DVI adapter before you outlay the additional $30 on the VGA adapter, just in case though.

3. Go with the USB2 hard disk, unless you are in need of a wifi router, which is what the time capsule is. At a university, you won't know what the network situation is like until you get there. Where I'm attending, we're allowed to set up our own routers, but it's not very easy, and we could easily put a NAS on the public network, but then your NAS is on the public network. Firewire will work too, in fact I have a 750gb drive with both interfaces, but Apple has started phasing firewire out on one or two of it's lower-end laptops, and who knows where you'll need to use your hard disk.

4. I'd buy AppleCare directly from Apple, you can order it on their website. You can buy the MBP and you then have a year to add applecare to it, although I think it still only protects you out to three years from the purchase of the machine.

Congrats on deciding to get a Mac, and hopefully this helps!

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

2010 is your best bet for anything Nehalem other than the Mac Pro (Q1 2009).

6. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply/ info on points 1&2

Sorry, I didn't make my self clear, but the time capsule would remain at home as I would not need the storage EVERYWHERE I go, it would just be used for media (media is approaching the 800GB mark) and Backups.

4. Its very expensive from Apple directly though (£230 Inc Student Discount)

7. Cory5412 macrumors member

Oh, whoops. Yeah, I don't have Intel's roadmap in front of me, but if the mobile nehalem isn't going to be out until early 2010, then a late'09 macbookpro won't have it. Mobile nehalem in a Mac is likely to show up a few months after dell/lenovo/hp/toshiba/acer/gateway et al all cram it into something.

8. iphoner2010 macrumors member

As far as the AppleCare question goes, I recently got a MBP as an XMAS gift, and when I inserted the AC disk into my MBP...it told me to register it. However, it wouldn't let me register. So I called apple and found out that when purchased at the Apple Store, it is connected with your Apple Item's S/N. However, if you buy it third party you have to register the product with the AC. That is the only difference. :apple:

9. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for the advice then guys, Looks like it will be a early 2010 purchase for me, other advice and comments are still welcome.

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Current leaks and roadmaps say:
    • Quad-core mobile Nehalems (Clarksfield) in Q3/Q4 2009
    • Dual-core mobile Nehalem (Auburndale) in Q1 2010
    Most but not all quad-core Nehalems are too hot for the MacBook Pro. Quad-core might also be too pricey to be in the whole MacBook Pro line.

So expect Nehalem in at least one MacBook Pro model near the end of 2009 at the earliest. But to be sure, I would predict early 2010.

On a side note, there is a possibility that Apple will have quad-core Penryns in the MacBook Pro by late 2009, giving a good performance increase over the current dual-core CPUs.

11. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

I see.

The only Quad-core laptop that I am aware of is manufactured by Asus and costs £2000.

Factoring economies of scale and the rate Moore's law, leads my to believe that you are indeed right, with either a Quad core i7 or a Dual core i7 at the very minimum an option in the MBP's.

But everything can change with the current climate in the economy....

Another quick question; how many months before a release is it before Apple rumours start get a high chance of accuracy? I mean the uni body we had known about for roughly 3-4 months (I think?) before the launch, but that a major upgrade.......

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

All this talk about going multi-core (beyond dual-core) brings up the space-age question of whether we would actually use that kind of power. Core i7 is actually released for desktops as of today. I was browsing over at costco.com for a book and found that Dell has a Core i7 desktop system for $1,299. Seemed kind of pricey in comparison to the rest of the XPS line. My suggestion would be to wait. This time is similar to the time when we had Pentiums and the Core Solo line was just around the corner.

13. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

When you say wait, do you mean until after late '09/ early '10?

Also, $1299 seems steep, here in the UK (where everything is overpriced), the cheapest Core i7 from Dell is £699.....

14. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

Also, is it possible to use a usb hub on a time capsule and then add more hard drives through that?

EDIT: I read somewhere that you can......

15. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

16. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

I hate to spam this post; but I just read this

What are the chances of these processors at least being an option on the 15" MBP (the £1369 one)?

I am talking about the Quad-core chip

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I wouldn't get the Time Capsule; that said, I wouldn't get any of them unless I needed it.

As with AppleCare off ebay, it's probably cheaper on ebay because the codes are bought with stolen credit cards.

Unlikely in the 15", but possible in the 17".

And you can edit your previous posts ;)

18. The SpinDoctor thread starter macrumors regular

Ok; thanks for the info; 17" laptops are a pain to carry so I think ill just wait.

19. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

If you are going to uni then whoever gave you the discount on apple care is wrong!

I paid £53 for my apple care this year so I'd have a re-think!