Need advice on purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gtgrad95, May 9, 2011.

  1. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA.
    #1
    I currently own a 2007 MBP and am looking to upgrade. The unit has been great, but doesn't have the storage space or processor speed that I need. However, with the news that the MBP will be redesigned in 2012, I am willing to wait. I do have a 2010 work MBP that I can use in the meantime to do any photo or video editing I need, but I would rather not use a work computer for personal things.

    I tend to replace my computers every 4 years or so, and I'm about right at that point now. But if it's going to be redesigned, it might be better to wait since the last update was a very minor one anyway. What are some of you guys in the same boat doing? Upgrading now or waiting?
     
  2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #2
    I wouldn't regard the last update as 'minor' especially with thunderbolt, quad-core, 13" move to i5 etc. Hopefully next year will see Ivy Bridge, USB 3.0 (and other bits) but as for an external make-over... who knows.

    Since you can use your work MBP, just wait til next year but if your finances can feed your hunger, wave the plastic. :)
     
  3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

    Macsavvytech

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #3
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

    in the refresh cycle you described it doesn't really matter if you replace it now or later, waiting will land you with a better machine, but then I wonder what the next update after that brings?
     
  4. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

    discounteggroll

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    Location:
    Greenwich, CT
    #4
    you could try selling it for a bit of a price cut (say, $550-$600) and get a 13" current gen i5 for $999 (if you have a microcenter near by). for $400 you've got a new, portable yet powerful system and should you decide to a new 15" down the road, you still have this for secondary use or to sell
     
  5. palpatine macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #5
    I suppose you could coordinate your purchases to align with major updates to Apple's MBP line (who knows if they will change the body), but Apple's not going to tell you when they plan to do this (the processor doesn't even exist yet), and I don't really see the point of waiting if you need something now, because the line just got refreshed with a brand new processor unavailable in most other computers (it is difficult to get any newer than that).

    There will always be something new in the pipe. And, you can be sure that it will be "magical" and "revolutionary." You can sell your computer and buy the new shiny if you like it. Think of it as renting an MBP until then :)
     
  6. TenderBranson macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2003
    #6
    the next gen revision will include a chassis update, so if that's important to you...
     

Share This Page