Need advice on purchasing MacBook...scam or not???!!!

Djharts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2015
Somewhere over the rainbow
I am looking to upgrade my MacBook and get the new 2015 retina pro 2.7ghz. I was searching Amazon and found a website that has MacBooks for around $200 cheaper than apple. I decided to go to the website and look around. Here is the link http://voxelyte.com/apple-macbook-pro-133-with-retina-display-27ghz-intel-core-i5-laptop-computer---mf840lla-620-p.asp . I contacted voxelyte company about authenticity and such and I was informed all products are new and sealed. It bothers me that I could not find anything on Google about this site but they sell products on eBay and have a 5 star rating. Thoughts?

Steve121178

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Umm, most independent online stores sell them >$200 cheaper than Apple. My MacBook Pro was around £300 cheaper (over $450) on eBay.

As long as the seller has great feedback then there shouldn't be an issue. If you buy via Amazon then they will protect you if there is an unlikely issue.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
This is almost certainly a disguised advert for the site posing as a curious buyer. No post history, single comment (this one).

Treat with extreme caution.

Djharts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2015
Somewhere over the rainbow
Umm, most independent online stores sell them >$200 cheaper than Apple. My MacBook Pro was around £300 cheaper (over $450) on eBay.

As long as the seller has great feedback then there shouldn't be an issue. If you buy via Amazon then they will protect you if there is an unlikely issue.

The website doesn't have "reviews", only eBay but they don't have the MacBooks on ebay

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Im not disguised at all I just really wanted some advice on this website and after not being able to find anything on Google I decided to join and make a thread.
In which case, I apologise - but the pattern is just quite unusual.

To give genuine advice, the best place to buy large purchases like Macbook Pros is from Apple directly or from another established reseller like B&H Photo.

If a deal looks too good to be true, it almost always is.

Reactions: Centient

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Yep, there are plenty of places online that sell them significantly cheaper than Apple (especially if you're able to avoid any additional taxes), so I'd stick to larger, well known retailers.

You can also often find great deals on eBay and it's usually easy enough to tell if an eBay seller is legit (just check out a sellers feedback, account history, avoid newly created accounts with no feedback selling a bunch of expensive stuff, mostly just common sense).