Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaBz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
Hey guys,

just wondering whether to buy a rMBP 13" now or wait for the new one.

I heard it is rumored to get updated together with the MBA in april. Do you think this is realistic? On the other hand I heard that the MBP always get updated together so that would mean a longer waiting time which I don't know whether it will be worth it considering it will only a be silent update.

Thanks!

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
It is POSSIBLE for the rMBPs to be updated at the same time as the airs. The reason they were a minor update at the end of last year was because of the unavailability of broadwell chips. Now that they are plentiful, it is possible for Apple to just update all of their macbook lines at once.

Though from a business perspective, they may stagger the update dates. They like to see a profit every quarter, and releasing all the new macbook lines at one point of the year might not be so great for them come fall since they will likely not have anything majorly new coming (maybe the 21" retina iMacs). Though thinking about it, they will likely have great sales from the 6S. Its very hard to tell what they'd do.

So it is possible for Apple to be updating the rMBPs for an early 2015 release, but I find it more likely that we wont see these updated until summer or fall.
Either way, I say wait for the announcement of the 12" air. You may be wanting to get that one instead.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It is POSSIBLE for the rMBPs to be updated at the same time as the airs. The reason they were a minor update at the end of last year was because of the unavailability of broadwell chips. Now that they are plentiful, it is possible for Apple to just update all of their macbook lines at once.

They typically update the macbook pros first, assuming that chips are available for both the 13 and 15" models. 2013 was flipped. Some of the chips used in the 2013 models didn't begin to ship until Q3, which prompted the reversal. Just look at chip launch dates. They typically release something within 60-90 days of that. If both are available, they're likely to release macbook pros first. The macbook pros look like they were last updated July 2014. That isn't really late last year unless I missed something.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
They typically update the macbook pros first, assuming that chips are available for both the 13 and 15" models. 2013 was flipped. Some of the chips used in the 2013 models didn't begin to ship until Q3, which prompted the reversal. Just look at chip launch dates. They typically release something within 60-90 days of that. If both are available, they're likely to release macbook pros first. The macbook pros look like they were last updated July 2014. That isn't really late last year unless I missed something.

Well with all the rumors spilling around with the 12" air, with an expected early 2015 release it is unlikely for them to come first this year. If anything it would be at the same time this year. And yeah you're right, July isn't that late.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Well with all the rumors spilling around with the 12" air, with an expected early 2015 release it is unlikely for them to come first this year. If anything it would be at the same time this year. And yeah you're right, July isn't that late.

I think you'll see them first if all necessary components are available. Otherwise you may see the Airs first. Apple tends to release the most profitable items first seemingly (I won't pretend to understand the details) to avoid undercutting a potential sale. It could go either way, but the flip flops up to this point have always been due to component availability. One distinct possibility is that if they opt to keep discrete graphics in one model, they may seek whatever 2015 bump from NVidia or AMD, foregoing whatever graphics bumps came out last year.

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
New rMBP now is not going to be a bad computer in a few months. If you have the need now, there is no point to wait IMO. I would not expect Broadwell refresh to be a significant leap.

But if you don't need the computer yet or you're just starting to sniff around for what you think you want to pick up, by all means wait. It never hurts to have the latest and greatest on launch day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.