need advice on selling my ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sfoalex, Aug 2, 2010.

1. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I am selling two iPads on ebay. One is a 16 GB wifi model and the other is a 64 GB Wifi with 3G model. As always I get a lot of questions when selling on ebay. One of the reasons I avoid it, is the sheer hassle it is to sell on it. Anyway, I got an email question asking for my serial number and I am not sure I should give it out.

Here is the email I got...

"I'm really interested in the iPad but I have been scammed before so I would like the serial number and the IMEI as proof of you having it on hand and it not been stolen. This way i can check if the pad is real and if its been activated or not on the apple website. Also I can see how much warranty is left. I would really appreciate you doing this for me."

Is there any reason I shouldn't give him this information? The devices are mine, and I have receipts, and even Apple Care on the 64 GB model. What's to stop anyone from claiming the device is there own using that data? In other words, am I being scammed or is this a valid question to ask me as the seller of these devices?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I don't see why he needs to see the warranty left because they haven't been made for a year or out long enough to be near the end of it. It is a really popular device and you will probably have more offers available to you.

My advice though is don't give them to him/her as you don't know what they will use it for even if it is for the stated reason.

3. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this is good advice or not, but on things like this I have often included the serial number right in the listing as a way to guard against a buyer trying to return a different one from the one I send.

I don't know your selling record on eBay, but I can understand a buyer's caution.

4. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

When selling on eBay, the best buyers are the ones that don't ask questions.

I rarely answer questions on eBay because more often then not, they're trying to pull something on you. I've sold many items on eBay all to buyers who don't ask questions. If you describe the item in good detail, there should be no questions.

5. sfoalex thread starter macrumors 6502

My selling record is 75 items @ 100% positive. No neutrals, no negatives over a span of over a decade.

6. sfoalex thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any harm they can do with the serial number? Am I at some risk giving it out? If it is harmless to share it, then I'm okay with this.

7. 0101001 macrumors 6502

8. prot0type macrumors regular

Have you posted a picture?

You can always post a picture along with a sign showing your user name and the date. I remember having to this when the wii was in high demand as proof of possession.

Also, some real advice, wait till November, maybe even middle of December to sell it.