Need Advice On Selling Touch To Someone in US (From UK)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by john_satc, Nov 30, 2007.

1. john_satc macrumors 6502

Hiya was hoping I could get some advice.
    I put my iPod Touch up on ebay, i'm in the UK, and a bidder from the US has bought it using buy it now, for £215, around $445. Shipping to the US I expect to be £10-15 so Im estimating a total of $475.

I don't understand why he/she would want to do this when in the states you can get a Touch (16gb) for $399 plus tax. With the possibility of import duties (im guessing they have those in the US), I am lost as to why someone would do this.

The guy/girl has good feeback 31 positives, 1 neutral. Anyone got any ideas of how this might be a scam??

Cheers, Jon

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either! If I were in your situation, I would be concerned too. You and the buyer are in different countries so the police, postal and banking laws are all going to be different and if something goes wrong with the deal there isn't much you'll be able to do about it.

You haven't said how you're supposed to get payment so it's a little hard to give you advice........but suppose the buyer uses a stolen credit card to pay through Paypal? Or the buyer claims the Touch never arrived and has his CC charge-back the payment? There are lots of possiblities unfortunately.

So be careful how you proceed!

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just be honest and ask the buyer that question.

4. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

I bet you 1 of 2 things has happened:

1. He hasn't done the conversion yet. OORRRRRR

2. (which i find most likely) He's converting 215 Euros to dollars and not 215 GBP so he's getting 315 USD which makes him feel good.

5. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

6. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

Be warned

Ok so thanks for everyones responses but this thing blew up over night for me and im annoyed and worried...

I got an email from ebay last night about an hour after the auction closed saying the buyer had not actually wanted to buy the item, and that someone has used his account to buy it without his consent. The cancelled the transaction. So I have had to completely relist my item, writing all the info out again etc. And whats even more annoying is that I had serious bidders for the item.

Now this morning I have 4 emails (which I presume are scams) asking me to ship the item to, you gussed it, Nigeria. One supposedly from ebay threatening the suspension of my account unless I ship it, two supposedly from Paypal saying they have received payment and will transfer the money once I have sent the item, and finally one from the guy himself with some bull **** story about needing one.

I AM SO ANNOYED ABOUT THIS!!! I JUST WANTED AN EASY AND QUICK TRANSACTION!!! And now I have some guy trying to scam me!!!

7. gavd macrumors 6502a

I had this a few months back when I tried to sell an old mobile. The best email I got was about a week after the auction ended when because I'd ignored all the other emails, they sent me one claiming to be from the FBI and telling me my local law enforcement agency would arrest me if I didn't send the item!

ebay refunded my listing fees and I got to list the item again, but it's just such a pain!

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ha ha, really? That's hilarious. These douchebag scammers must be getting desperate for business. I wonder if anyone's actually been paranoid enough to fall for their bullying?