Need advice on setup with router etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elvtnedge, Oct 31, 2008.

1. elvtnedge macrumors regular

I just got a MBP. I have a mac mini with a firewire WD external harddrive that has photos and music and general backup stuff.

I have had a Dlink cheap wireless router in the past that I ditched for a linksys WRG54 "G" router or whatever the model is to improve signal strength in the house and its just ok. However with the MBP and it's "N" card I think I should upgrade routers..

here is the problem.. I want something with good range in the townhouse Im in and fast. I dont want to have to upgrade routers every 2 years. Currently the router and modem are on the 2nd floor. From the router I have a CAT5 cable going through the wall to the next room so that I can run XBOX Live on my 360 with a hard wired connection.

What I'd like to do is make the external harddrive accessible to the mbp wirelessly. So I thought about airport express however there is no wired connection to run the xbox off of. I know Apple has the Airport model but can I made the external harddrive a wireless connection through that unit like the airport express? I believe it had 4 wired connections on the back.

Also, would you classify the range and speed in airport similar or better to that of a wireless N router that say Linksys or Dlink offer? Some have internal antennas, some have 3 external antennas etc.

any advice?

2. nanvinnie macrumors regular

D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Route

I got this for my place. My parents have PCs in their offices upstairs and I have my MBP downstairs. It's fast and reliable thus far. I haven't had any connection problems. Just my recommendation.

3. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

But I can't make my external harddrive wireless with that router can I?