Need advice on setup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DrDmg, May 27, 2012.

1. DrDmg macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Being a long time reader of these forums, this is my first post.

Having just sold my whole computer setup that was outdated, I need to get a new one.

I almost made up my mind, but I would like the opinion of others on this simply to compare.

I have around a 4-5k budget to get myself a whole new setup.

Being a student, an avid gamer and also doing a lot of video editing and processing,graphic work professionally, I was wondering what would be the best option for me.

I am was thinking into buying a 13 inch mba for all my work on the go as I travel a lot during the week and a new Mac Pro if they update it soon as my main workstation on which i could dump all the more intense tasks.

That being said I also considered the iMac, but the graphics card in there is a mobile version and I think that I could really benefit from the better processor of the mac pro.

What is your take on this?

Thank you for your advice!

2. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

My take is you have a sweet budget for a student. :)

3. DrDmg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahaha. I'm a student, but also work professionally as a graphic and video editing artist, which makes up for the costs of the machines I use.

4. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

What type of mobile work do you plan to do? If you need to do video editing and motion graphics away from home, then you would be better off waiting for WWDC and getting the top end MacBook Pro.

5. DrDmg thread starter macrumors newbie

I do plan on waiting for WWDC before any purchase.

As for mobile work, it is mostly simple Photoshop/ InDesign work, nothing more. Was considering the Macbook air.

All the video and processing would be done from home, as i have my larger display.

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

i could not imagine doing any photoshop/indesign work on a 13" display anymore. that being said, i doubt you'll have any real issues doing so on an mba cpu/gpu-wise. throw in 8 gb of ram and you'll be fine.

since you're also apparently an avid gamer, i doubt an imac would suit you.

7. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

There's no upgrading the ram in an Air at this point due to it being soldered on to the motherboard.